Chapter 26

I walked aimlessly through the night. Ate a bit of street food. Visited a mall. Saw a movie by myself. And sat in McDonald's till they told me that they have to shut down. It was 3 am.

I walked out of the mall. I was sleepy. I thought about going home. But I did not really feel like it. I felt like going to my parents. But they were in Kochi. I walked checking flight rates.

After a while... I realised where I am walking to. Where my feet are leading me to. To home...

I stared at Yash's house. It was the break of the dawn. The house was still there. Yash's papa's old scooter was still parked in front of it. Yash's bike was no longer parked. It got destroyed in the accident.

For a while, I stood staring at the house and then at the place where we kissed for the last time.

"Ishika?" I heard my name being called with doubt. I turned around to see Yash's mother. "It's really you." She said.

"Hello, aunty," I said.

She came and took hold of my hand. "What are you doing here at this time? Oh, Deva... Your hands are frozen."

Yeah. I was cold. It was cold outside. It was September.

"I just missed him. So..." I wished there were no tears in my eyes. But I could not help it.

"Come on in, beta..."

"No. It's okay. I will just leave."

Aunty's smile dimmed. "You guys never come over anymore. Rihan, Vishwa, Suhani. How are you all?"

And I could not lie to her. Tears started coming out.

"What happened, beta?" She came closer.

I tried to wipe them away and give a laugh. "Come on inside," Aunty asked again.

She led me inside. Their house looked the same. "Listen Ji..." Aunty called out to her husband. "look who is here?" Uncle sleepily came outside. "Ishika beta." He was also so happy to see me.

They gave me tea and snacks. Aunty asked me to stay for breakfast.

I asked her if I can visit Yash's room once.

"Of course." She said.

When I walked inside, I could not hold back my tears. It was the same. Everything was the same. His guitar sat in a corner. And his books, even his clothes...

Aunty and uncle came and stood behind me.

"He had told me there was a girl he loves," Aunty said. "It was you, isn't it?" Her voice was soft.

"Yes," I could not deny.

Aunty hugged me. "If he was alive... you may have been our daughter-in-law, right?"

I cried harder.

Uncle patted my shoulder and moved a hand through my hair. I felt terrible that I had not come here sooner. And now that I came, I came after I found someone else. I felt like I betrayed Yash.

When I walked to my apartment I saw Rihan sitting on the floor beside my door, with his head turned down. I stopped near him. He looked up and jumped up. And looked like he is in pain because his legs had gone numb. "Where the hell were you?" He asked. "And why can't you pick up your phone?" He asked.

I began to open the door to my house.

"I asked you something."

I opened the door. "I will give you two options," I said. "You have to marry either me or Suhani... What will you choose? And if you don't choose that is cheating in the game."

His eyes flashed confusion then panic.

"One. Two. Three..." I counted slowly. He was just staring at me. "Should we count till ten then? Four... Five..."

"Did you talk to her?"

"Six... Seven..."

"Ishu..."

"Eight... Nine..."

"Ishu please..."

"Nine and a half..."

"Ishu, I can explain."

"Ten. It's over..."

I walked in and closed the door on his face. "Ishi..." he kept knocking. But I went and dropped on my bed. I was done with this shit. I wanted a quiet life. The lonely life was better.

Chapter 26.5

Shit. Shit!!

Why couldn't I just say 'Ishi'

'I will marry you'.

But. Then... I have not thought about marriage with her yet.

Things are so complicated.

When Suhani mentioned marriage...

It felt so easy. So familiar...

I knew her parents.

They loved me.

My parents loved Suhani

And even they are expecting me to marry Suhani

It will be a hell lot of effort to convince them

That I am not marrying Suhani...

If I marry Ishi

I would have to explain to everyone why Ishi and not Suhani

The easy route was...

But then...

I cannot hide anything from Ishi can I?

She will catch anything in an instant.