Chapter 16

Honestly, I rather liked Suhani's papa. He has always thought of me fondly too. So when I was in the office the next day, I ended up thinking a lot about Suhani. Is it wrong if I do not call her in her time of need? But then she did not call me either. Earlier she would have.

But then, how will she call me. She did wrong. Not me... She may be ashamed to call me.

But she called Rihan. I still felt bitter about that. And angry that he still went. But I understood too. If something happened to my parents, I would want Yash more than anyone; even if he is dead.

So I took my mobile and called Suhani.

"Hey," her voice sounded so happy. Happy that I called?

"Eh... I heard from Rihan." I said, a bit guilty about not calling her sooner. "How is uncle now?"

"Better. He is getting stable... It's Ishi, papa." She added to her father, who may be beside her. "Oh, it's been such a long time that I saw her." I could hear uncle's voice. "Tell her to come to visit."

"Eh..."

"Tell him I will..." I said.

"You will?" She seemed surprised.

"Yeah."

I walked through the corridor of the hospital room carrying a fruit basket. It felt odd to face Suhani. But well...

I stopped when I saw Rihan and Suhani stepping out of her father's hospital room. "Yeah, Papa... I'll do that tomorrow." Rihan was saying to inside. "Take rest, papa. See you tomorrow, mamma."

They closed the door and turned around. I don't know why I did that, but I jumped behind a wall. Somehow, I felt I was disturbing something. They walked ahead.

"Thank you," Suhani said.

"I did not do it for you." Now Rihan sounded cold.

"Still..."

"Don't cry."

"I am not."

"I can see your tears. Papa... Uncle will be fine..."

"That is not why I am crying."

Silence...

I peeked out.

I saw Suhani tilt her head to Rihan's chest. They stood like that. Rihan did not touch her. But after a while, he put his hand to her shoulder and patted her, and pushed her away. "It's okay. Shit happens." She looked up at him, still crying. "How is Siddharth?"

Suhani's face dimmed to guilt and pain. "He... he is fine."

Rihan nodded.

Then things were awkward. So I stepped out and walked to them. Rihan was startled to see me. He even looked guilty, like I caught him doing something bad. But Suhani was so happy. "You came..."

"For uncle," I said. "I will go see him."

I tried to walk past them through the space between them. Rihan gently caught my elbow. "I will wait. Let's go home together."

'Let's go home together.'

I am sure Suhani did not miss that tenderness in his voice or the 'home' that we can go together. I saw her looking at him with doubt. But his eyes were on me. I walked to the hospital room.

After, we were in Rihan's car. And I was silent. Rihan looked at me nervously. "Are you mad at me?" He asked, his voice a bit husky, a bit guarded. I was reminded of the time Yash asked me that.

"Ishi...?" Rihan prompted when I did not reply. I was still thinking if I was mad or not.

"It's not like what you think." He said.

"What do I think?"

"That I am... what 'pussy whipped'." He said, "I have not forgiven her."

"Then...?"

"It's complicated. Her parents do not know about our breakup yet. She doesn't know how to tell them."

"Obviously, how do you tell your parents that you cheated on your partner."

He just sighed.

"Since when do you plan to stay single?" I turned to him.

"Says 'you'." He has a smile as he looked at me.

"Don't divert the point. It's been five months." I said. "She is dating that other guy. Without any shame. You do not need to be like this."

He stayed silent.

"I am opening you a Tinder account," I said

"I don't need a Tinder account."

"Okay... Woo account then? Hinge? Bumble? Ok Cupid...?"

"Ishika" He is putting his foot down by calling my full name.

"Rihan..." I did not give up.

Silent. But I can understand though... I know how much he loves her. And that it is not over for him. That he just cannot 'move on'. Not yet.

"Fine," I said. "No serious relationship then. You can have a casual one. Sex only."

"What?" he laughed. And kept laughing.

"What is so funny?"

"Nothing." He said.

I scowled.

Chapter 16.5

I have felt this way once.

13 years back

We were travelling in an autorickshaw

Suhani was talking and I wanted to grab her and kiss her.

I did not...

I did not do it now as well...

But I cared about what Ishi thought about me

About me and Suhani

About everything...