Chapter 7: The Girl With The Friend

A/N: I'm updating like supppeeeeerrr late, but as you all know, I've been on hiatus bc you know college sucks major balls and stuff (don't do it guys it's a trap ((Im jking I swear college is good okay go if you want tho but like it's a good thing))) im updating now tho and that's all that matters ok

Dedication goes toooooooooo @-punkziam bc eeeep you said this was one of your fav fics and that means so freaking much and I just wanna cry and thank you ok ily

Hope you guys enjoy :)

It's been an entire week since Zayn stormed out of the pizza parlor. Niall tried to cheer him up, but Zayn merely brushed him off as he went to go spend the next five hours at the park (Zayn's never good at 'talking about his feelings', anyway).

He's ignored Liam since then, and he can hear Liam shuffling on the other side of his bedroom door as he's lying on his bed, staring at his ceiling.

He knows it's stupid, ignoring Liam, considering Liam has absolutely no idea that Zayn's madly in love with him, but he just can't help it. He can't look at Liam without remembering the fact that the feeling of love and want he has for him will never be reciprocated.

So he stays in his bed no matter how many times Liam knocks on his door until he hears it.

Sniffling.

And sniffling only means one thing: Liam's crying. He gets up from his bed faster than he ever has in his life. He's opening the door, and Liam tumbles over into his room from losing the support the door gave him. And like Zayn had guessed, Liam's cheeks are tear-stained.

He crouches down and places a comforting hand on Liam's shoulder, rubbing it softly. "Li... Why are you-"

He's interrupted by Liam muttering, "Please don't h-hate me. I can't lose you, too."

Zayn tenses; Liam couldn't be anymore wrong. He'd never hate him; he'd never leave him because he needs Liam more than he needs air. "Why the hell would you think that? I could never hate you, Liam."

Liam sits up and pushes away from Zayn. Zayn ignores the small painful jab his heart feels. Liam wipes his eyes and glares at Zayn. "Why wouldn't I think that? You've been avoiding me for a whole damn week, Zayn. I've even forgotten what you look like!"

"I know. I'm sorry. I just-" he hesitates as he thinks of an excuse. "I bet Louis I could last two weeks without talking to you. Looks like I lost, huh?" he lies straight through his teeth, and he's now wondering how Liam would ever believe that.

Except he does when he gets up, brushes himself off, and frowns. "That's not very funny."

Zayn smiles and nods. "Yeah, I know. I'll be sure to punch Louis for it."

Liam chuckles at the thought of that, and Zayn can't help but smile - that same wide smile that appears whenever Liam's involved (the 'Liam smile', Louis calls it) - now that Liam's happy again. He pokes Zayn's chest firmly. "I'm still mad at you."

"Aw, c'mon, Li-"

"But!" Liam exclaims, "You can make it up to me. Go out with me tonight, yeah?"

His breath hitches as soon as those words register in his mind. Liam wants to go out with him? On a date? He's staring at Liam, eyes wide and mouth open. Liam thinks of him in that way?

But all of that hope that seemed to emerge itself again is crushed when Liam begins to talk about a club he had heard of that recently opened.

Liam just wants him to be his wingman again, and Zayn can't even say no because he'd never forgive himself if Liam fell back into the depression he had when Sophia left him. For Liam, he thinks to himself for the billionth time; it's implanted in his brain now.