Chapter 20: The After

a/n: key reminder that in england, driver's seat is on the right side and passenger on the left

thanks for all the wonderful support and comments! Enjoy x <3

"Hurry up, babe! The appointment's in 20 minutes!" Sophia shouts. She's standing in front of their entrance, rubbing her barely showing baby-bump, as she waits for Liam to finish getting dressed.

Liam pulls on his coat; the sound of rain pounding against his apartment is enough to make him reach for an umbrella. "I'll be there in a minute!" he replies. He flips off the covers on his bed and is relieved to find his lost phone. The blue light in the corner is shining, indicating he has a missed message.

As soon as he sees he has one missed phone call, his eyebrows furrow, confused as to who would call him. He brings his cellphone to his ear and listens intently as his voicemail begins relaying the message.

"H-Hello?" a distraught Zayn says through the speaker.

"I'm uhh... I-I need help—" Liam can hear a bit of shuffling over the phone before a loud groan escapes Zayn's mouth.

"I'm by t-the park... O-On Fourth Street, and I—"

The message immediately ends and Liam's quick to call Zayn right back. He's panicking slightly, as the call goes straight to voicemail. Zayn's phone probably ran out of battery, which is why his message was short and cut off. And he's worried now because Zayn could be trapped somewhere or a gun could be pointed at his head and he's alone and afraid and...

And Liam really needs to be there.

He rushes out of his room with wide eyes and mouth agape as he pants slightly.

"What's wrong with you?" Sophia asks.

"Zayn's in trouble," he replies. He's already pushing past Sophia, grabbing his keys, and eager to find Zayn.

Sophia grabs at his arm, stopping him. "I get my results today. I can't do this alone, Liam. You promised me, remember?"

"Yeah, but Zayn called me—"

"Oh, he called you? If he were in trouble, wouldn't the next logical step be to phone 9-9-9? He's just trying to get your attention like a little baby. I need you, Liam." Tears start to prick at the corner of her eyes and she sniffles. "I-I... I might have cancer."

Liam gulps and looks away from her. Zayn could've called 999, she's right about that, but something about Zayn calling him instead made Liam want to run straight to him.

"Look, Zayn's got Louis, Harry, and Niall. I only have you..." She walks up to him and caresses his cheek. "And I wouldn't have it any other way, okay? Just text Niall and he'll take care of it."

And even through all the horrible scenarios going through Liam's mind about where Zayn could be, Liam can't bring himself to leave Sophia, not when she's looking at him with an anxiety-ridden look Liam had never seen before. Sophia's at her most vulnerable, and Liam can't leave her.

He takes a deep breath and nods. "Alright, let me send Niall a quick text."

She smiles brightly in return. "I'll meet you in the car."

As she walks away, Liam brings his phone out and sends a message to Niall.

To: Niall H.

zayns in trouble. by the park on 4th street. go quickly pls

He just really hopes this works.