Chapter fifty~ Hollis

When I think of my own birthdays, it was never particularly fun. It was always filled with empty and acted out reactions, new ex-best friends celebrating with you, and getting anxiety.

I had always hated the 'all eyes on me' type expectations. I never liked when people gave me gifts because I didn't know what to say, it was almost like I owed something to them.

Frankly, I was a very awkward and anxious person and hated getting all the attention, and on that one day, every year, I had my guard up.

Of course, my perspective on birthdays had changed over the past few years. On my nineteenth or twentieth birthday, I let my guard down and just said fuck it.

I only surrounded myself with people who loved me. Finally, it dawned on me that birthdays were really just a hate free zone with all your close friends and/or family.

Tomorrow was Luke's birthday or tonight was the eve of his birthday. I was excited to spoil him all day tomorrow, and cook him dinner tonight. 

One thing I could say that I always loved was being excited for other people on their birthday. I would try to go all out. 

Luke was the opposite. He loved to be cocky about it but didn't love the big birthday crowd, he hated going all out. He's much rather a dinner and movie in.

So it wasn't like I could say no to that.

Tomorrow I was gonna attempt to make him a cake and dinner, I wasn't the best chef, though, so we'll see how that goes.

Currently, we were sitting on the floor, in the baby's room, folding and putting away all the little outfits she had gotten from the baby shower. Which in my opinion, were way too many for her own good.

"This is a lot of clothes for such a tiny little baby." Luke said, putting away a little yellow onsie.

"That's just what I was thinking." I agreed, "Although, she might need a lot of outfit changes so I suppose we'll be prepared."

"Oh definitely. Half of it might not even fit her though, she might skip past all the newborn clothes." He pointed out.

"Can you imagine? That definitely wouldn't be an easy birth." I said.

He nodded, "True, true." 

We folded and put all the clothing into bins for a half hour more when I put the last bin away in her closet.

I looked down at my phone and paused the playlist that I had been blasting. It was around five forty-five now, the perfect time to start making dinner.

"Hey babe, what are you feeling for dinner?" I asked Luke, "I'm gonna start cooking, right now."

"I think there's pizza dough in the freezer, why not we cook together, tonight?" Luke suggested.

I smiled, "Okay, perfect. I'll start getting that ready."

He nodded, "I'm just gonna shower real quick, I'll be down in a few, okay?"

"Okay." I responded.

"Don't start without me." He joked.

He knew I wouldn't, though.

I walked down the back seat of stairs, a staircase I initially didn't know we had when we moved in. Although, it was a good thing we did because I could barely walk up or down the small, metal, curvy staircase in the living room.

The house was officially completely done now. Of course, there was still some laundry needing to be washed before getting put away but besides that, it was done.