~life changes in a heartbeat~

Dereks POV

Glancing up from the constant paperwork that has taken over my life I notice Meredith. She's guiltily stood in the doorway. I carry on with work admiring her from afar.

"Are you alright?" I ask quietly trying not to distract her. The sudden worry on her face was one of those faces that after a while you find cute in someone. 

"Yeah I'm fine" she said kind of nervously. 

"You didn't come home last night?" I said looking up from my paperwork. 

" Yeah I told you every Tuesday night I'm trolling for cases, last night a guy crashed his motorcycle and had rebar jammed in the base of his skull and Shadow Shepherd let me do the extraction," she said so excitedly that it made me miss surgery. The smile on her face radiated the room. 

"You know what I've been doing paperwork. Do you know what I have to look forward to paperwork. .... This job is just... I wish I had something jammed in my brain. Then I would see the inside of an OR!" The seriousness of Meredith's face soon turned quite sombre. 

"Ok well... are you gonna come home early tonight? Cos we can order in and I have the stuff to tell you" The nervousness in her voice had shifted. 

"Yeah I'll be there" still looked down at the paperwork I had finished moving on to the next set. 

"I have to go. I'm on sloan post opps!" The way her voice sounded so excited and happy. 

"I hate how you're so happy " I finally looked up from the paperwork realising she was near the door.
"Derek you do realise there's gonna be a lot of dirty sex for you tonight" she whispered before leaving the room.

This job had slightly taken over. For the next few hours people coming in and out I looked at my schedule seeing a new resident transfer from New York was meant to be here any minute. Looking around I saw a Blonde walking with Yang. Yang was laughing tho which was slightly weird as I'd never seen that before. The girl looked very nervous. I turned back to paperwork and emailed Kepner to pick up the new residents ' scrubs and coats so she could give them to her.

The knock on the door sounded very polite a bit too polite for this place.

"Come in!" I said loudly, I wanted to come across as constructive and like the man in charge not just Derek Shepherd Chief of Neuro. 

"You can sit on one of the seats there I'm just finishing this then I'll be with you...Says here you are from New York, I used to live there actually. I kind of grew up there!" Turning my chair towards the filing cabinet behind me, the quietness and awkwardness anyone could see.

"Sorry about that Derek Shepherd, Head of Surgery also Neurosurgeon" I say standing up and putting out my hand and that was when I finally made eye contact with her. She wasn't just some resident she was Luna. My little sister well practically. 

" Hey Sheps" the cute dimples and joyful voice I had missed piped up.

"Luna... what the hell, are you visiting?" The excitement from my voice was radiating off my face.

" Where's Webber?" She said disappointedly I knew that voice I was too used to it. 

"He's not chief anymore just an attending. Why are you here?" The excitement had disappeared.