Maybe fixing yourself isn't the answer

'Okay Shepherd you ready to go?'

'Yeah, so the baby has been intubated and Robbins will do the rest then'

'Okay let's get going the rains getting heavier and Robbins should be finishing' I say climbing into the back of the rig.

The rain was splashing on the roof giving the sounds of muted gunshots which was giving me anxiety.

'You know, Why not try adoption again?' Karev asks waking me up from my daze.

'Social Services just took our kid away. What do you think it will look like if we wait a week then and see if they will give us another kid?'

'All right. So get a surrogate'

'Alex' I say trying to stop him from digging himself another hole.

'Why not?'

'Because I don't want a surrogate. Okay. Just drop it.'

'No. You don't give up like that.'

'it nice you care, but it isn't any of your business

I was looking between the two to see if I should stop the conversation.

'It is though. It's my fault. I can't handle being responsible for you not having kids. It's too much.'

'It's not your fault'

'Yeah it is'

'No, it's my fault. I got the ball running. I messed with the trial. What you did was turdy but what I did was illegal'

'Who cares? You don't just give up. it's lame. you're not a quitter. That's not who you are.' Alex says as we jolt to a stop.

'Dude what's the problem?' Alex asks turning behind him.

I turn to look at the baby and catch Meredith's eye intact at the same time.

'What happened to the engine?' I shout.

'I don't know what the crap it is' He shouts back.

'I called for another unit, but we're in the middle of nowhere. It's gonna take forever. I'm putting these out, and I'm gonna run back' The ambulance driver continues.

We all look at each other than at the baby.

'It looked like there was a store or something about a half a mile back. Maybe they got a truck. You gotta get out of the rig' He says walking backwards.

'It's pouring rain and freezing. We can't go out there with the baby' I say looking at the driver and at Karev and Meredith.

'There's no shoulder. It's not like we can take the incubator out. I mean there's not even anywhere to stand' Karev says analysing the outside of the rig.

'This thing is full of oxygen tanks. If we get hit this thing will go up like a Roman candle' The driver says looking at me directly.

'You gotta get out' He sighs again and repeats himself.

'And leave the baby?' I say.

'She'll die' Meredith expresses

'We'll all die' Karev adds in.

'I'm putting these out. You better hope people can see them. You are on a hill which is on a curve. I'm telling you, get out of the damn rig' The driver says before walking off.

I look between both of them before staring at the baby.

'Okay, you two get out. I'll stay with the baby' Karev orders.