4

Michael's POV

I woke up to A Daydream Away by All Time Low blasting in one earbud and the other earbud lying on the futon beside me. There was no sight of Luke anywhere, so I figured he had left already.

Hopping up from the futon, I headed to the kitchen to find Liz and my mother chatting over cups of steaming tea. "Good morning, Mike."

"Wait, good morning?" I scoffed. "I slept through the night?"

"Mhm," Liz smiled softly. "Have you seen my son?"

"Yeah, where is Luke?"

"I don't know and I don't care." I replied simply, rummaging through the fridge for food. "Mum, we have nothing to eat in this house. When was the last time you went shopping? For Christ's sake."

"First of all Michael, you are almost an adult, if you want food, get off your lazy ass and buy some yourself, " Karen scolded, shooting me a motherly glare. "Second of all, go find Luke, please."

"That's not fair! I was supposed to hang out with Calum today, you knew that, you can't-"

"I said, go find Luke. Now, Michael."

There was no reason to argue with her, so I simply slipped on my shoes and rushed out to find the little hybrid. It took ten short minutes to reach the shops of the town. There were alleys in between every two buildings, so I started there.

"Okay... hide and seek is over," I chuckled, shuffling through the dark alley. "Here kitty, kitty..." I made a soft purring noise. "Where's my little kitten?"

There was a slight whimpering from the shadows and I stepped into the light. There Luke was, curled up in a ball against the alleywall, blood dripping from his cat ears.

I hurried to his side and gently ran my fingers over his busted lip. "Jesus Luke, what did you get yourself into?"

"I'm s-sorry..."

"It's okay kitty," I forced a soft smile. "Let's just get you home."

"Please, M-Mikey... don't call me that!" He tried to yell but it came out a loud whisper. I shook my head and laughed quietly, scooping him up bridal-style. He rested his head on my chest and balled my shirt in his fist tightly, holding on as if his life depended on it.

Luke was not at all heavy, but he was enough weight that slowed down my pace a bit, and I made it home in longer than ten minutes. I didn't think it would be wise for our parents to see him like this, as it would cause more harm than good, so I sneakily brought him up to my room.

"Oh, Michael dear," Liz called from the kitchen as I was shutting my door. "Is Luke alright?"

"Uhm," I hesitated. "Yes, Liz, he's alright! We'll be up here playing... video games! Please don't come in!" I slammed the door and locked it, carefully, trying not to drop Luke.

"Okay," I said to myself as I set him down on the bathroom counter. "I'm going to get washcloths and clean up the blood, and then we'll talk about what happened." I dug through the cupboard until I found a clean washcloth. I wet it and softly wiped the dry blood from his ears.

"I'm going to bandage your ears up, okay?" I asked and he nodded. Once I was finished, I remained standing in between his leg and gazed up at him. He looked timid. "You don't have to be afraid, I'm not going to hurt you. What happened? Who did this to you?"

"I-I went for a walk. I was p-passing the... the alley when these guys grabbed m-me..."

"How many guys and what did they look like, what did they sound like?" Luke shut his eyes tightly, clearly overwhelmed. "Hey, it's okay. Breathe, tell me when you're ready."

He inhaled deeply and opened his eyes. "T-there were, uhm, three guys, I-I think. One had curly hair and dark g-green eyes... nothing like yours... His were scary." Ashton. "The other one had darker hair... and the last one, h-he had brown hair, and... and a british accent."

"What did they do to you?" I questioned faintly, trying not to scare the boy.

"When they first grabbed me, they ripped off my beanie. The british one, h-he tried to cut off my ears... it hurt, really really bad. The one with the curly hair, he called me pathetic, and t-that I didn't deserve to live." Luke's eyes teared up. "Is it true, M-Mikey? Am I pathetic?"

"No, no, you're not pathetic. You do deserve to live, everyone does. C'mon, don't think like that."

"The one with the d-darker hair, he punched me. B-busted my lip. He told me that I was worthless... and that no one would ever love me. He called me kitten. They all called me k-kitten." Luke was now shaking and trembling, every bone in his body. They had hurt him so bad.

"I'm so sorry, Luke... I call you kitten... I'm so mean to you!" I took a step back from him, afraid I'd hurt him. "I'm just kidding when I call you kitten, I'm only teasing. You know that, right? I'd never actually hurt you! No, not like that. I know what it's like to be hurt like that, I would not do that to you."

"Mikey," He breathed. "Calm down, it, it's fine... it's actually kinda cute, when you call me kitten..."

I blushed at his words, which is fucking scary cause I never blush. "Look at what you're doing, you're making me blush. I don't blush!"

"You act so tough but you're really not," Luke giggled. "You're just a big s-softie. I mean look, I'm sitting on the bathroom counter while y-you play both doctor and detective."

"I think I'm a very excellent doctor, thank you very much," I smirked at him. "And an even better detective." I stepped back between his leg and subconsciously let my hands rest on his thighs.

Luke yawned and rubbed his eyes. "I'm tired. Can I take a nap?"

"Of course, kitten," It was his turn to blush. I rubbed his ears gently and he purred. "You're s'cute."

I watched as he smiled big at my words and wrapped his legs around my waist and snaked his arms around my neck. "Carry me to bed, please."

I did as he said, resting him down on the bed and tucking him in. "No," he pouted as I began to walk away. "Lay with me. Till I... till I fall asleep."

Sighing, and pretending I didn't want to when I really did, I slipped into bed beside him. He immediately curled into my side, burying himself in my chest. I held him close to me.

Maybe having Luke live with me isn't so bad after all.

Notes

Yay I'm happy with this

Jordan

Edited July 2019