24

About three exhausting days later, the four boys have finally made it to Darwin Airport. They've managed to earn a little money along the way - don't ask how - after learning each ticket would be over one-thousand dollars.

"Four tickets to John F. Kennedy Airport in New York, please," Michael asked kindly.

"Will you be checking any bags?"

"No, ma'am."

"Okay, that'll be $4392," She said politely. Her mouth fell agape when Michael handed her five-thousand dollars, all cash. "Would you like your change back, sir?"

"Yes, please," He nodded and she handed it over. "Thank you."

"Thank you, sir, have a nice flight!" She grinned widely.

"I think she was flirting," Calum cackled as they walked towards security.

"I think she thinks you're rich," Ashton added. The boys all laughed, knowing for a fact they were quite the opposite of rich.

"M-Mikey?" Luke whimpered, as they approached the security machines. "Will they notice that I'm a.. a hybrid?"

"I don't think so, baby," Michael squeezed his hand. "You'll be alright."

Calum went first, stepping through the machine with ease. Ashton followed. It was Luke's turn, but he refused to step up. He was trembling. "Boy, you're next, let's go. We don't have all day." The guard yelled. Michael gently nudged his boyfriend forward, sending him a reassuring smile.

Luke also passes through the machine with no problem and so does michael. "T-That was easier than I thought it would be."

"See? I told you, love. There's nothing to worry about, I'll keep you safe," Michael kissed Luke's forehead, earning looks from other people but they ignored them. They knew it was okay.

*****

Close to twenty-four long hours later, and heaps of tears on Luke's part, the boys had finally landed in New York. They were drained and knew they had to pick somewhere to stay for the night.

"Luckily, with all the extra money we have, we can stay at a decent-enough hotel for a few nights while we find jobs and then we can rent an apartment," Ashton told the other boys. They all nodded, not interested in conversation.

They hailed a cab, climbing in the back. Ashton smiled at the driver, handing him a fifty-dollar bill, "The Lucerne Hotel, please." The cab driver took the fifty and steped on the gas.

*****

Michael rubbed his eyes wearily, sitting in the chair. The TV light illuminated the other boys, Calum and Ashton cuddled up in their bed and Luke sleeping soundly by himself in his bed.

He watched as luke stirred and sat up. "What are you still doing up, Mike?"

"I can't sleep," Michael whined. "Jetlag's a bitch."

Luke dragged himself out of bed and curled up on Michael's lap, like the kitten he is, and fell back asleep within minutes. "Lukey?" Michael asked softly, rubbing circles in the younger boy's shoulder. "Well you're asleep, so I'm just going to talk."

"I know how much of a dick I am to you sometimes - ok, not sometimes, a majority of the time. I'm really sorry for that, I try to control myself, but it's like my mind is tripping over itself. It's a mess up there. I never mean to hurt you and I'm so sorry if I ever have. You're the best person I've ever met. I love everything about you- your blue eyes, how they sparkle when you talk about music or books. Your hair and its softness, your lips and how well they mold with mine. Your laugh, your honesty, your adorable stutter. Everything about you has me melted at your feet. I'm in love with you, Luke."

"And oh god, I hope you're in love with me too."

Notes

I feel like you guys deserved some fluffy muke in the midst of their big adventure

I am Luke, falling asleep always and everywhere

Jk I can't sleep lmAo

Ok I love you guys! see you Friday my babes

Jordan x

Edited July 2019