Chapter 2

The ninja were gathered around the dinner table, eating their food in silence. Ever since the battle a few weeks ago, the monastery was never as loud and lively as it used to be.

Cole picked at his food distractedly as he stared at Kai across the table from him. The red ninja looked lost and unfocused as he always did since the battle, and Cole knew why. Lloyd's emotions were driving Kai crazy, and every day the pain deepened. Cole had felt some of this, too, but Kai's connection with the green ninja was deeper and affected him way more than the black ninja. Cole was still settling into his new power, while Kai had had it much longer. Anything Cole felt, Kai felt ten times worse.

Cole suppressed a gasp as something shot through him. He clutched his stomach, hoping the others didn't realize his sudden pain. Lloyd, he thought. Something's up with Lloyd.

Cole couldn't resist a groan as waves of pain rolled through him. His vision began to cloud as the pain overwhelmed him. Gritting his teeth, he clutched the table, hissing as he suffered. I've never felt this much pain in a feeling before, he thought, growing dizzy. Then his head shot up on alarm. If I'm in this much pain, then what is Kai feeling?

He looked across the table just as Kai let out a sharp gasp. The red ninja moaned loudly and practically toppled off his chair.

Cole's eyes widened. "Kai!"

He jumped to his feet and knelt beside his brother as the others gathered around closely.

"What happened?" Nya asked.

"I don't know," Wu murmured.

Kai trembled violently as he lay on the ground. His breathing came in gasps and he curled up with pain.

Cole laid his hand on Kai's arm as he looked over him fearfully. "Kai?" His voice trembled. "Kai!"

Kai managed to turn his head to look at the black ninja. "C-C-Cole..." he hissed through gritted teeth. He let out another groan before continuing. "L-L-Lloyd..." The red ninja's eyes started to glaze. "H-help... L-L-Lloyd..."

With a moan, Kai's head fell back again limply. His body suddenly stopped shaking and his tensed muscles sprawled out.

Cole gasped and stared at the red ninja with wide eyes. "Kai!" he exclaimed. He shook the red ninja, but he didn't wake up.

The others spoke things to each other, but Cole's thoughts blocked them out. His breath quickened and his heart pounded. It really is getting worse, he thought. He ran his fingers through his hair anxiously as he stared down at his unconscious brother. It's too much for even Kai to bear.

"Cole!"

Cole jolted from his thoughts to see Wu standing over him. "Help us bring Kai to the hospital room," the sensei told him.

Cole and Zane lifted the senseless red ninja and headed up the stairs, Wu and Nya following. Cole's heart pounded in his chest as he felt Kai's presence rush through him. For some reason, I get the feeling Kai won't be waking up any time soon.

* * *

Wu watched as the ninja laid Kai onto a hospital bed. Zane went to fetch Pixal as Cole stood beside the red ninja. The black ninja's eyes were wide with fear as he gazed down at Kai.

Wu turned as Jay walked over to him. "What happened?" the blue ninja asked. He had been in the hospital room earlier to check on his wounds and hadn't been present at the dinner table.

Wu rubbed his beard. "I'm not sure," he admitted. "Kai just collapsed without any notice."

Jay's eyes glittered with worry. "Do you think it's his breathing again?"