Chapter 7

Nya was searching through a box of tools in the garage when Jay walked in.

"Hey, Nya," he murmured.

Nya lifted her head. "Oh, hi, Jay." She gazed at him. "Is everything alright?"

Jay shrugged. "I guess so," he sighed. "If you ignore the fact that Lloyd, Sensei Garmadon, Kai, and Cole are really out of it."

"Cole?" Nya echoed in confusion.

Jay frowned. "I can't be the only one who noticed how distressed he's been lately," he said. "It's almost like he's afraid."

"He's probably just worried about everything that's happening," Nya suggested. "It is all sudden and frightening."

Jay sat down beside her. "I just can't help but feel it's more than that," he went on.

"How so?" Nya pressed.

"I don't mean to sound rude or anything," Jay responded, "but Cole never really used to pay attention to the sick, but now he rarely leaves Kai's side." He shifted his feet. "It's really not like him, and I'm worried."

Nya nodded in understanding. "I've noticed it, too," she murmured. "But I'm sure he's just wondering what happened to Kai, like the rest of us."

Jay sighed. "I don't know."

The two went silent for a moment.

Then Jay cleared his throat. "So what are you up to down here?" he asked.

Nya perked up again. "Oh, I just thought I might start rebuilding the Bounty," she answered.

"Really?" Jay exclaimed. "Why?"

Nya shrugged. "It might come in handy sooner or later."

Jay stared at her. "Are you sure you're not just trying to distract yourself?" he inquired.

Nya looked away. "The busier, the better, right?" she murmured.

Jay looked at the ground and they were gripped in another silence.

"Well... this is... awkward..." he stammered.

Nya sighed. "Everything is awkward when our family is divided," she breathed.

Jay gave a forced chuckle. "Yeah, I guess..."

Nya got to her feet. "Maybe I should talk to Cole," she said. "Just to... see if he's okay."

"Okay." Jay watched as she walked past him, drawing his hand over his face when she was gone. The two of them had never had such an uncomfortable conversation. What happened with Lloyd and—and Kai isn't just affecting them, he thought. It's affecting everyone.

* * *

Kai trudged through the forest, completely aimless in his wanderings. Panting, he drew to a halt and leaned against a tree. He gradually felt his strength start to leave him. Ever since he had been trapped inside visions and thoughts, he had felt himself weaken after every day that passed. He knew his time was running out.

A wave of pain rolled over him and he let out a moan.

I can't go on like this forever, he thought. He heaved himself back to his feet, hissing with pain. If I'm ever going to help Lloyd, I have to do it now.

Forcing his pain down, Kai continued through the trees. He paused as he came to their usual clearing. He looked around, but Lloyd was nowhere in sight. Where could he be? Kai wondered. He couldn't have wandered that far.