Chapter 24

Wu turned as the front door opened and Cole stepped in.

"We're back," the black ninja announced.

Everyone rushed to meet them. Cole moved out of the way as Kai shuffled in after him, head drooping.

"There you are!" Garmadon exclaimed.

"What were you doing out there?" Jay questioned.

"Yeah," Nya added worriedly. "You could catch a cold being out so late!"

After Nya had said it, they noticed Kai was shivering. But the red ninja didn't respond to the questions as he swept past them and slumped onto a dining room chair, resting his chin on his hands.

As the others exchanged glances, Wu walked up beside Cole. "Did something happen?" he asked.

Cole shrugged. "I found him beside Lloyd," he began.

"Lloyd?" Wu exclaimed in disbelief.

"Look, I don't know what happened between them," Cole went on. "Maybe it was something Lloyd said."

Nya frowned and sat beside her brother. She wrapped a blanket over his shoulders as she saw him shiver again. "Are you okay, Kai?" she asked gently.

Kai gave a soft shrug. Nya gestured toward the others and they left the siblings alone to talk. She turned back to Kai when they were gone. "Tell me what happened," she coaxed.

Kai dragged his fingers over the table nervously. "Why can't I just let it go?" he whispered.

"Let what go?" Nya pressed.

Kai sighed. "Lloyd," he murmured. "Everyone else did—even Sensei Garmadon did. But I can't. Lloyd's actions still shock me." He looked at the ground. "And his words still hurt."

Nya laid her hand on his shoulder. "We're all still shocked about Lloyd," she said. "You're not alone, Kai."

Kai glanced sideways at her. "At least he doesn't hate you," he breathed. Then he rose to his feet and left the room.

Nya furrowed her eyebrows as she watched him leave. What has gotten into him? she wondered. Shaking her head, she got to her feet. Maybe he just needs some rest. He's had a long day.

But worry crept down her spine as she pondered what lay ahead for her brother and his shattered bond with Lloyd.

* * *

Ariana halted at Lloyd's door as she heard the unsteady patter of footsteps. She gave an exasperated sigh and pushed open the door.

Lloyd was limping around the room in an attempted pace and Ariana crossed her arms. "You're supposed to be resting your leg, not working it," she snapped.

Lloyd suppressed a hiss of frustration. "I don't need rest," he growled.

Ariana shut the door and came closer to him. "The more you rest, the faster you can get that elemental weapon," she argued. "Besides." She laid one hand on his shoulder and twirled the hair around his ear with the other. "You know I can't stand to see you weak."

Lloyd scoffed. "I'm not weak."

Ariana furrowed her eyebrows and gave Lloyd's bad leg a harsh kick. The green ninja gasped and stumbled on his feet. "Ow," he breathed. "Ow... ow..."

Ariana rolled her eyes and sat at the edge of his bed as he steadied himself again. "I rest my case."

Lloyd sighed and leaned over the windowsill, staring out into the sky. Ariana expected him to turn around again or say something, but he just stood there in silence. She frowned and walked up beside him. Glancing sideways at him, she saw his unblinking eyes deep with memories.