Chapter 20

Green fog swirled around Kai, nearly suffocating him. The red ninja coughed as the fog closed in on him, trapping him in its clutches. As he struggled to get free, something like a bolt of lightning shot through him and he gasped.

He awoke with a jolt and sat up in his bed, panting and seeing it was still light outside. Rubbing his head, his head shot up as he interpreted his dream. It wasn't just a feeling of emotions or a vision telling the future. It was a presence. A dark presence. Lloyd, he thought. Lloyd's here!

Kai threw off his blankets and stopped at the doorframe, glancing down the hall. Where could he be? The red ninja started down the hall, senses alert for anything.

Then he heard a distant clatter.

He turned and headed toward the sound. Rounding a corner, he skidded to a halt, but Lloyd wasn't there. Suspicious, Kai walked forward until he realized this was where they used to hide his elemental sword. His foot suddenly hit something and he looked down to see part of the floorboard was ripped up. Eyes widening, he crouched and found that the hole was uncovered and empty. He was relieved they had switched his sword into a different hiding place only a couple of days ago. Lloyd was here only a few minutes ago, he realized. And he's searching for the sword.

On instinct, Kai raced down the hall toward the place they really hid it. What if Lloyd already found it?

He took a deep breath as he rounded the last corner and stopped abruptly as he found his gaze resting on his former brother, teammate, and friend—Lloyd.

The green ninja froze, hearing the footsteps, and turned around. His gaze gave nothing away as he stared at the red ninja. "Kai," he muttered through gritted teeth. "Always nice to see you."

Kai didn't move, wondering if Lloyd liked him today or not. He had learned that the green ninja was unpredictable—one day he was happy to see Kai, the next he was angry with him.

"What?" Lloyd sneered, coming closer. "Cat got your tongue?"

Kai began to walk backward, deciding Lloyd was his enemy today. He noticed the green ninja didn't have the elemental sword. He didn't find it yet, he realized with a rush of relief. He fought against every instinct to steal a glance over his shoulder to where the sword was hidden behind a painting on the wall. But he sure is close.

"I know your sword is close," Lloyd went on in a growl. "Just hand it over, and no one gets hurt."

Kai gulped as he saw Lloyd's muscles tense. He knew he didn't stand a chance against the green ninja after his days in the hospital room. "Lloyd," he spoke for the first time, "l-let's talk about this!"

"Talking is for wimps!" Lloyd snarled back. He drew out That Sword.

Kai's breath quickened as he saw the weapon, trembling as he recalled everything That Sword had done to him.

Lloyd smirked, clearly noticing his anxiety. "You know, it's a shame to be unarmed in a situation like this," he chuckled. "An elemental sword would be pretty helpful right now."

Kai didn't shift his gaze away from Lloyd. "I know what you're trying to do," he said, trying not to let his voice tremble. "But I won't show you where it's hidden!"

Lloyd stalked closer to him, sword at hand. "You'd really rather be helpless in battle than be able to defend yourself?" he coaxed. "When your sword is right in arm's reach."

Kai backed away as all his instincts told him to grab his sword and defend himself. The painting showed in the corner of his eye; the weapon was, in fact, in arm's reach.