Chapter 3

Wu pushed open the door to the hospital room, worry for his brother raining down on him. The severe wounds Garmadon had taken during the battle was all he could think about. We already lost Lloyd, he thought. We can't lose my brother, too.

As he entered the room, he glanced at Garmadon and was surprised to see his brother sitting upright on his bed. With a gasp, Wu rushed over to him.

"You're awake!" Wu exclaimed with relief.

Garmadon was staring out the window, expression unreadable. He didn't turn or make any reply to his brother.

Wu frowned and tapped his shoulder. "Brother?"

Garmadon didn't answer.

Wu glanced across the room at Pixal, who was standing beside Kai. She walked over to him when she realized he was looking at her.

"He woke up about an hour ago," she informed. "Hasn't said a word since."

Wu furrowed his eyebrows, gazing at his brother worriedly. "Is he okay?"

"Medically, yes," Pixal murmured. "Emotionally..." Her voice trailed off as she gazed at Garmadon intently. "Well, I guess you can figure that out for yourself." Then she turned and headed across the room.

Wu looked at his brother again, finding that he was now staring at his feet. Sighing, Wu rested his hand on Garmadon's shoulder. "Talk to me, Brother," he coaxed.

Garmadon lifted his head again, continuing to stare out the window. Wu waited for a while, but no words came from his brother's mouth. Troubled, he rose to his feet again.

"Rest well, Brother," he murmured before turning around and exiting the room.

He rubbed his beard, deep in thought. It seems everything that has happened finally caught up to him.

Wu looked up again as Cole rushed down the hall toward him.

"Is Kai awake yet?" the black ninja asked.

Wu shook his head sadly. "Still pretty knocked out," he sighed. "Pixal still can't figure out what's wrong with him."

Cole scratched his head, not knowing what to say.

"Do you think whatever happened to him has something to do with what he won't tell us?" Wu wondered, completely bewildered. "My brother told me he's been in pain."

Cole froze. "Uh..." He hesitated. "I-I don't really know..."

Wu eyed him suspiciously. "You don't sound too certain."

Cole didn't meet his gaze, completely lost in his words. Deciding to change the subject, he cleared his throat and asked, "Speaking of Sensei G., is he awake yet?"

Wu rubbed his beard as he remembered what happened with his brother in the hospital room. "Yes, he's awake."

Cole's face brightened. "That's great!" he exclaimed. "I have to tell him something."

Wu turned as the black ninja walked past him. "Er—wait, Cole," he called him back.

Cole turned again. "What?"

Wu scratched his head. "I don't really think now is the best time to talk to my brother," he stammered.

Cole shifted his feet. "I-it's kind of important," he murmured.

"You can always talk with me," Wu added, raising an eyebrow.

"A-and confidential," Cole replied hesitantly.