Chapter 29

A day passed. One day closer to Lloyd was all the ninja could think about. They were excited and nervous all at once. They long awaited this day, and yet, something just didn't feel right.

They were now gathered in the meeting room, discussing what was to come.

Wu's gaze traveled over the ninja in front of him as he began. "I know this is a hard thing to ask," he murmured. "I know all the horrid things Lloyd has done to us, and I know it'll be hard to accept him again." He paused to take a breath. "But we all know one of the main reasons Lloyd left us is because he felt distrusted. We don't want to make the same mistake twice."

"Are you saying we should just full out trust him again?" Kai exclaimed in outrage.

Before Wu could reply, Jay added, "That's impossible! How could we trust him so easily after all he's done?"

Cole furrowed his eyebrows. "He should have to earn his trust!" he hissed.

"Haven't you three learned anything from our situation?" Garmadon spoke up angrily. "If Lloyd feels like we don't want him, he'll leave again."

Jay winced and Kai looked at his feet. Cole went silent, but he tapped his fingers on the table aggressively.

"Look, I know how you guys must be feeling," Wu started again. "But this is the only way to save Lloyd."

The ninja exchanged glances. Eventually, Zane dipped his head. "We understand, Sensei," he said. "And we'll try our best."

Although sounding reluctant, the others murmured their agreement. Wu gave an approving nod before dismissing the meeting. Nya followed the others as they headed for the door, but stopped when she saw Kai trailing a bit behind. Frowning, she slowed her pace until she was beside him.

"Is everything okay?" she asked gently.

Kai shrugged. "I wanted Lloyd to come home, I did. I tried so hard to lead him back to the light." He scratched his head. "Now I don't know if it was such a good idea."

"How so?" Nya pressed.

"It was hard enough to trust him after the Trance," Kai sighed. "Now look where he's got himself!" He looked down at his stomach. "How am I supposed to handle it?"

Nya gazed at her brother sympathetically. It had been a long time since he brought up the Trance. Worry unfolded inside of her as she remembered how much anxiety Kai had had back then. When Lloyd comes back, will Kai's anxiety creep back up on him?

* * *

Garmadon paced the floor in his room. His excitement of his son's return had turned into worry. What will happen when he gets here? he wondered. Will he be happy to see us? Will he be happy to see me? Or will he be angry with me?

Guilt and regret piled on Garmadon's shoulders as he remembered the communication device incident. How could I have been so cruel? he thought to himself. Lloyd was going through enough as it was without me hurting him more! He sat on the edge of his bed and drew his hand over his face. If Lloyd had killed Kai, it would've been all my fault. Lloyd never would've tried to steal Kai's sword if it wasn't for me.

Garmadon gazed out the window as the sun began to set. He remembered how surprised Lloyd had sounded when he told him he wanted him to come home. He doesn't even think I love him anymore. He sighed. Well then, I'm just gonna have to show him how much I do care tomorrow.

A rush of something Garmadon identified to be dread shot through him. Tomorrow? he thought. Already? His heart pounded in his chest. Yes, he was dying to reunite with his son, but Lloyd had become one of the biggest threats to Ninjago. Could he have changed so quickly?