Chapter 14

As Joseph left the room, Lloyd turned back to Ariana and his eyes widened as she threw her arms around him. With a moment's hesitation, Lloyd returned the hug.

"Thank you," Ariana breathed.

Lloyd shrugged when they broke apart again. "I knew you wouldn't have attacked someone in cold blood," he murmured. He raised an eyebrow. "And I never trusted Joseph from the start."

Ariana suddenly let out a groan and bent over. Lloyd grabbed her hand and brought her upward again. "Are you okay?" he asked with concern.

Ariana winced. "Nothing Doc can't fix," she said with a soft laugh. It was like her to act like wounds weren't a big deal.

The two sat down side by side on Ariana's bed.

Lloyd shifted his feet. "Ariana, what happened?" he began again. "The truth."

Ariana took a deep breath. "I had just gotten into my room, and I didn't know Joseph was in there until it was too late," she said. "Then he attacked me."

"Why?" Lloyd wondered. "What grudge does he have against you?"

"I don't know," Ariana mumbled, shrugging as if uninterested.

Lloyd stared at her. "Why do you sound so calm?" he inquired. "Your teammate just tried to kill you!"

Ariana gazed at him. "What Joseph said was true," she breathed.

"What are you talking about?" Lloyd blurted out.

Ariana sighed. "Lloyd, this isn't the monastery," she went on. "Things like this don't come as a surprise, but rather an expectation. You can't trust anyone, even if they seem like they're on your side."

Lloyd frowned. "But why?" he repeated. "It doesn't have to be that way!"

"But it is, Lloyd," Ariana murmured. "And that's just how we are."

Lloyd stared at her. "Do you trust me?"

Ariana gazed at him with surprise, not expecting the intense question. She opened her mouth, but no words came out.

Lloyd furrowed his eyebrows. "You don't trust me?" he whispered.

Ariana turned her head away. "You're powerful, Lloyd," she said. "You're strong and brave..."

Lloyd laid his hand on hers. "Then why don't you trust me to protect you?" he asked.

Ariana gazed at him again. "Because what happens when you get too powerful?" she challenged. "You'll forget about me."

Lloyd stared at her. "I'd never do that!" he exclaimed. "Ariana, how could I forget you?"

Ariana looked at the ground. "I have been known to be forgotten," she murmured.

Lloyd frowned and inched closer to her. "Ariana, you're everything to me," he breathed. "No matter how powerful I become, you'll always be beside me." He ran his hand over her cheek. "You can trust me."

Ariana turned her glittering gaze to him. "But do you trust me?" she dared to ask.

"Of course I do!" Lloyd replied without hesitation. He let out a strained laugh. "At this point, you're the person I trust the most."

Ariana was silent for a moment, then her face lit up in a half-smile. "I believe you, Lloyd," she said. "But it's going to take me a while before I can fully trust you."

Lloyd felt a weight on his chest. Ariana of all people should know how he felt about feeling distrusted. He glanced at her, seeing the anxiety in her eyes, and heaved away his hurt as he realized it was hard for her to be so open. "I-I understand," he murmured.