Chapter 4

Waking up to sense movement above him, Lloyd immediately jerked himself sideways off his bed. Without giving himself time to fully wake up, he snatched That Sword from beside his bed and struck it forward, meeting Joseph's arm. The Top smirked as blood splashed to the ground and he lowered his arm, formerly protecting his face. "Not bad," he commented.

Huffing, Lloyd slipped his sword into its case. "Are you ever gonna stop trying to kill me in my sleep?" he muttered.

"Maybe. I mean, you didn't die this time, and that's what we were trying to achieve here."

Shaking his head, Lloyd pushed past him. For the past couple of weeks, Joseph had been obsessed with preparing him for anyone who might attack him while he was asleep. He had "died" every time, but now he thought he was getting the hang of it, since now he learned not to hesitate.

"Anyways, the Overlord's looking for you," Joseph told him. "Again," he added in a grumble. Lloyd didn't think he'd meant for him to hear.

Frustration swelled inside the green ninja. He had a lot on his mind and didn't feel like talking to anyone, but he didn't have much choice. This had better be good, he thought as he headed out of the apartment building.

"At last," the Overlord rasped as the green ninja entered the Main Base. "It's about time we get back to business."

Lloyd slumped onto a chair and crossed his arms, waiting for the Overlord to continue.

"We have three elemental weapons out of four," he went on. "It's time we go for the last one."

Lloyd blinked, lost.

The Overlord raised an eyebrow. "The sword?"

Lloyd looked up in surprise. "Kai's sword?" he breathed, half to himself.

The Overlord began pacing the floor. "I'd like it soon," he muttered. "Tonight, maybe?"

Lloyd shifted his feet uneasily. "Don't you think it's a little too soon?" he murmured. "We only recently got the shurikens."

"Then why wait?" the Overlord pressed. "We're so close, and there's nothing holding us back."

Lloyd went silent as he took everything in. The last weapon is the sword, he thought. Kai's sword. Uneasiness swarmed through him. He didn't want to hurt Kai more than he already did. "W-well, Ariana isn't fully recovered yet," he stammered, trying to make up an excuse.

The Overlord halted. "And?"

"Shouldn't we wait until she's at her full strength?" Lloyd pressed. "What good will it be to have to constantly look after a weak teammate?"

The Overlord rubbed his chin. "I suppose so," he growled. "But it better not take long."

Lloyd rose to his feet. "Yeah, well, tell that to nature," he huffed. Then he turned and walked out of the room.

As he closed the door behind him, he turned and jolted in alarm to see Ariana behind him. She crossed her arms and stared at him.

"You think I'm weak?" she snapped.

Lloyd tensed. "Uh... n-no," he protested.

Ariana raised an eyebrow. "That's not what I heard," she muttered.

"Y-you're not weak," Lloyd stammered. "Just... lacking full strength."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Ariana stated.

Lloyd sighed. "I lied, okay?" he confessed. "I had to think of something!"

"Why?" Ariana demanded.