Chapter 18

Wu drew his hand over his face as Kai finished explaining everything to him. "All this time, you've been suffering," Wu murmured, "but you never thought to tell us?"

Kai shifted his feet. "I-I didn't want to burden anyone," he sighed. "I burdened Sensei Garmadon enough."

Garmadon stared at the red ninja in surprise. "Kai, you never burdened me!" he protested. "I'm glad I was able to help you."

Kai didn't meet his gaze and instead looked at the ground. "But..." He took a deep breath. "After dinner, on that night Lloyd stole the shurikens, I-I heard what you said to Sensei Wu," he admitted. "I thought it was my fault you were so stressed."

Wu and Garmadon exchanged a glance over Kai's shoulders. Then Wu cleared his throat and rose to his feet. "I'm gonna go round up the others," he said. "It's time we take some action in this part."

Garmadon waited until his brother was out of the room to gaze back at Kai. "So it was a bit stressful," he confessed. "But it's not your fault. None of this is your fault!"

Kai stared at him. "It's Lloyd's fault," he choked out, voice trembling.

Garmadon took a deep breath. He was surprised to see his own disappointment and grief reflecting in Kai's eyes almost as strong as his own. "Yeah." Garmadon's voice cracked. "It's Lloyd's fault."

For a moment nobody talked.

Then Kai sighed. "Still, I feel like I'm taking advantage of you," he went on. "I never even gave you anything in return."

Garmadon laid his hand on the ninja's leg. "Yes, you did," he stated. "You helped me, Kai."

"What?" Kai stared at him. "What did I do?"

Garmadon looked at his feet, hesitating for a minute. "When Lloyd left, I felt... useless," he admitted. "Like no one needed me anymore. But you helped show me that I still have value to the team." He gave Kai a nudge. "I'm getting fond of you, kid."

Kai half-smiled. "I guess I'm just not used to being taken care of," he murmured honestly. Then he shifted his feet. "I-is this what it feels like to have a father?"

Garmadon raised both eyebrows, shock filling him.

Kai snapped his head away as he realized what he had just said. "Sorry," he whispered.

Garmadon's gaze softened. He knew Kai's parents had died when he was very young, and he never experienced the love of a mother or of a father. Garmadon rested his hand on Kai's shoulder. "Even the strongest people need to be protected sometimes," he comforted.

Kai turned his head back to him. "Lloyd is lucky to have someone like you for a father," he breathed.

Warmth filled Garmadon at the red ninja's words. He smiled and rose to his feet. "Come on," he said, "I think my brother will be needing us."

As Kai got to his feet, Garmadon noticed his eyes were glittering with the beginning of tears. The sensei frowned. "Hey, what's wrong?" he asked.

"I just wanna thank you." Kai's voice cracked. "For being there for me."

Garmadon gazed at him with the faintest hint of amusement. "You want a hug, don't you?"

Kai gave a soft laugh and wiped water from his eyes. "If that's okay with you," he breathed.

Garmadon opened up his arms. "Come here," he told him with a smile.

Kai shuffled closer and wrapped his arms around the sensei. Garmadon returned the favor and felt Kai relax in his comfort. He needs this, Garmadon thought. No matter how hard he tries to hide it.