Chapter 21

Clink! Clink! Clink! Clink!

Lloyd and Kai were sword-fighting through the halls, not one landing a blow on the other. Lloyd swiped That Sword at his opponent, but Kai blocked it and shoved the sword away from him. As Lloyd staggered on his feet, Kai jumped forward to land a blow on him. Lloyd flipped over the red ninja just in time and Kai's sword struck the floor. Kai whipped around as Lloyd swung That Sword at him and blocked it with his sword.

The two made their way through the monastery, oblivious to where they were going. Kai panted as he dodged a stab from Lloyd's sword. How long can I keep this up? he wondered.

Gaze locked on his opponent, Kai didn't notice he was heading for the stairs and he gasped as his foot met the edge of the floor. He wobbled on his feet. Lloyd smirked and gave the red ninja a shove, sending him toppling down the staircase.

Lloyd watched as Kai hit the floor, expecting the red ninja to just lie there. But his eyes widened as Kai heaved himself back to his feet. He gave a hiss of frustration. He's stronger than I thought!

Lloyd jumped down, gliding over the steps, and landed neatly in front of Kai. He raised his sword to strike, but Kai was ready and he struck his sword at Lloyd's, knocking it away from him. The red ninja steadied himself on his feet and hopped backward, distancing himself from his opponent. Lloyd gripped That Sword tighter and rushed at him. His sword met Kai's, and the two once again sword-fought around the room.

Clink! Clink! Clink! Clink!

Unsure of where he was going, Kai jerked in alarm as he tripped on something and stumbled to the ground. Shaking his head, he saw the top of a pot and realized they were in the kitchen.

Lloyd stabbed That Sword at him and he immediately rolled out of the way. Leaping to his feet, he rushed at Lloyd. The green ninja blocked the blow with his sword and the two locked positions.

Kai grunted as he pushed against Lloyd. "You know," he made out through gritted teeth, "there's still time to turn back and join us again!"

Sweat rolled down Lloyd's face as he pressed back. "Nice try," he grunted. "But the fun has only just begun!"

Using all his strength, he shoved Kai away from him. As the red ninja stumbled, Lloyd ran for him and barreled him to the ground. The breath driven out of him, Kai found himself pinned with his stomach to the ground.

Lloyd panted and lifted That Sword over him. "Finally!" he breathed. "Ninjago will be mine!"

Kai furrowed his eyebrows, his fear suddenly replaced with determination. "You're not getting away that easily!"

A burst of power suddenly shot through him, and the red ninja sprang to his feet, sending Lloyd flying across the room. He watched the green ninja land under a pile of pots and pans. He panted to catch his breath as he felt a newfound strength pulse through his veins. He didn't know where it came from. He thought he had been weak after how long he had been unconscious.

Then it hit him.

My power! He gazed down at his stomach as shivering tingles swept through him, strengthening his muscles. His days trapped in visions hadn't made him weaker, it had made him stronger. He clenched his fists, smirking, as he felt the pain he had once felt from his power now come out as strength. Now, this is where the battle really begins!

"Ouch!" Kai broke from his thoughts as something hit him in the head. Dazed for a moment, he staggered on his feet before shaking his head and snapping back to his senses. He quickly ducked as another pot shot at him and he whirled around to see Lloyd appearing out of the pile of pots and pans.

"Take that!" the green ninja snarled.

Kai readied his sword to defend himself. "Try me!" he challenged.

Lloyd furrowed his eyebrows and threw another pot at him. Kai grunted and whacked it with his sword like a baseball bat and it flew the other way. As another pot flew at him, he whacked it as well and it shot back at Lloyd. Lloyd gasped as it hit his head and knocked him to the ground. Kai rushed forward and pinned him there.

"Give up yet?" he snickered.

Lloyd flared his nostrils. "Never!" He kicked out his legs and spiraled Kai across the room. Panting, he got to his feet and readied his sword as Kai stalked back toward him. How long can I keep this up? he wondered.

* * *

Wu was up against the outside wall of the workshop in Ninjago City, waiting for his brother to return with the new weapons. He felt a crisp wind fill the air and knew the sun would be setting soon. We should be getting back.

He jerked in alarm as he suddenly heard a scree.

"Code red!" a voice called.

Wu snapped to attention. What?

Scree!

"I-I rR-epeaT-t!" Static engulfed the message. "Ll-oyd i-Is-"

Scree!

And that was all he heard. Wu's gaze shot toward his wrist as he realized the voice was coming from his communication device. His eyes widened. Kai!

He turned as Garmadon came out of the workshop, the weapons latched onto his back.

"Did you hear it, too?" Wu asked.

Garmadon nodded. "We have to go!" he exclaimed. "Come on!"

Wu raced after his brother as they headed toward the forest. I just hope we're not too late.

* * *

"Sensei!"

The brothers skidded to a halt in the middle of the forest and turned around to see Cole, Zane, and Jay heading toward them.

"There you guys are!" Wu exclaimed.

"We have to get back to the monastery—quick!" Cole gasped.

Garmadon nodded. "We know."

Jay, who had come only halfway to his senses, leaned on Cole's shoulder more heavily. "I-is it getting darker?" he breathed.

Wu's eyes widened. "What happened to Jay?"

"We met someone unfriendly on the way," Zane muttered.

Garmadon took a deep breath. "Lloyd," he guessed.

Cole grunted from the weight of another ninja on him. "He was heading for the monastery," he said.

"Then we haven't a minute to lose!" Wu turned toward the monastery in the distance. "Come on!" he told them. "The fate of Ninjago rests in our hands!"

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.