Chapter 17

"Oh." Wu straightened. "So the truth finally comes out."

Beep!

Garmadon looked down at his communication device with surprise and saw that it had been connected with someone else's. He brought it closer to his face and saw the name, Lloyd. Garmadon gasped with horror. "No," he whispered to himself. "He couldn't have heard it."

Wu watched his brother as he desperately tried to call his son back. He took a deep breath. "I knew you were going to say something you'd regret," he murmured. "I just didn't think Lloyd would be around to hear it."

Garmadon's breathing heavied as Wu left the room. Pick up, pick up! he silently told Lloyd. But there was no response. Closing his eyes, he let out an exasperated sigh. Lloyd called me, he thought. He wanted to talk to me. But I blew it.

He groaned. What have I done?

* * *

Kai shifted and blinked open his eyes. He squinted as his vision began to clear. Where am I? he wondered. This doesn't look like the forest.

He looked around and began to recognize things. Rubbing his head, he felt a sudden jolt of realization hit him. I'm in the hospital room!

Eyes widening, he heaved himself upward and gazed around. I thought I'd never see this room again, he thought.

He turned his head as the door opened and someone rushed over to him. As the last of the blur cleared, Kai made out Cole.

The black ninja's eyes were round with shock. "Kai!" he gasped. "Y-you're alive!" He placed his hands on his head. "Oh, my gosh, you're alive!" He stumbled backward. "I have to tell everyone!" A huge grin broke onto his face. "Y-you're awake—you're alive! Oh, my gosh!"

"W-wait, Cole," Kai rasped. "I-I wanna talk to you first."

Cole was immediately back at his side. "Of course, anything!" he exclaimed with pure joy in his voice.

Kai took a deep breath, remembering how crushed Cole had looked when he saw him in his vision. "How—how are you?" he began carefully.

"How am I?" Cole exclaimed. "Why, I'm feeling great!" He swirled around on his chair. "How are you?"

Kai scratched his head. "I don't really know," he croaked.

Cole laughed. "I'm just happy you're alive!"

Kai looked down at himself. "I guess I am," he murmured. He gazed back at Cole. "Boy, it's good to see you in person again!"

"Tell me about it!" Cole quivered in excitement. "I thought I'd never see you again!"

Kai half-smiled. "Me neither," he admitted.

As they sat in silence for a moment, Cole's face suddenly dropped. "Wait," he said. "I thought you said the only way you'd wake up is if Lloyd got a sudden burst of pure fury."

Kai stared at him and felt his hopes crush. "Oh, no."

* * *

Cole burst into Wu's room and found both him and Garmadon inside. "Sensei!" he gasped, rushing over to them.

"What is it?" Wu asked.

"It's Lloyd!" Cole exclaimed.

Garmadon lifted his head. "What about Lloyd?" he prompted.

Cole scratched his head. "I-I don't know," he admitted. "But not something good."

As Wu blinked in confusion, Cole caught Garmadon's eye. The black ninja nodded in answer to his silent question.

"Something happened over there," Cole went on. "And Lloyd isn't happy about it."

Garmadon's eyes suddenly flashed, and his gaze traveled downward. Wu glanced sideways at him as if knowing what he was thinking.

"What?" Cole inquired. "Do you guys know something?"

Wu hesitated. "There's been an... incident earlier today," he muttered.

"A big enough incident to make Lloyd furious?" Cole pressed.

Wu sighed and Garmadon didn't respond.

Cole took a deep breath. "I don't know if Lloyd is going to do anything," he murmured, "but I think we should be ready just in case." He turned around and headed toward the door, but halted at the doorframe and turned his head back to them. "Oh, and Kai's awake," he added nonchalantly.

Wu and Garmadon exchanged a shocked glance as the black ninja left the room. Garmadon stumbled to his feet and the two senseis rushed down the hall until they came to the hospital room. Not wasting a second, they burst into the room and found Kai standing near the window.

"Kai!" Garmadon called as they hurried over to him.

Kai turned toward them. "Sensei!" he exclaimed, wrapping his arms around both of them.

The brothers exchanged a glance as they heard Kai sniffle. "What's wrong, Kai?" Wu asked as they broke apart again.

Kai rubbed his eyes. "I just thought I'd never see you guys again," he laughed.

Garmadon smiled. "We thought the same things about you," he breathed. "Cole really got us convinced you'd never wake up again."

Kai winced. "He did?"

"Speaking of Cole," Wu started, "am I the only one who thought he would be a little more excited when Kai woke up?"

As Kai went silent, Garmadon shrugged. "I thought so, too," he breathed.

The brothers turned to Kai and found that he was now staring out the window. He didn't shift his gaze as Garmadon walked up beside him. "Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yeah," Kai murmured. "I just... haven't seen the sun in a while."

Wu rested his hand on the red ninja's shoulder. "Take all the time you need," he soothed. "We're glad to have you back, Kai."

But Garmadon knew it was more than that. Kai's eyes were fixed on the forest intently, as if watching for something specific.

"Is there something I should know about?" he whispered.

Kai glanced sideways at him, then to Wu. "What exactly did Cole tell you?" he asked.

Wu rubbed his beard. "He said he thinks Lloyd is about to do something," he answered. "Something bad." He sighed. "I don't know where he got that from, but he seemed serious about it."

Garmadon and Kai exchanged a glance. Unease flashed in both their eyes, but eventually Garmadon gave a solemn nod.

Wu stared at them. "What is it?" he questioned.

Kai drew in a shaky breath. "Sensei, I think there's something you should know."