Chapter 23

"Ahhh!"

Everything spun as Lloyd flew through the air. He jerked as he suddenly hit the ground and tumbled into the edge of the forest. He lay there, stunned, as his whole body throbbed with pain. His vision blurred and his breathing heavied. He struggled to get to his feet, but fell back again with a groan.

"I'll get you for this," Lloyd hissed, although he knew Kai couldn't hear him. He panted as darkness engulfed him. "I'll... get... you..."

* * *

Wu, Garmadon, Cole, Jay, and Zane burst into the courtyard. They looked around and spotted Nya on the other side of the yard.

"Nya!"

Nya turned her gaze from the sky as the five rushed over to her.

"What were you looking at?" Zane inquired.

Nya shrugged. "I thought I heard something," she murmured before clearing her throat. "What are you guys doing in such a hurry?"

They all exchanged glances.

"Did you happen to see Lloyd pass by?" Garmadon questioned.

"Did Kai call you for help?" Cole added.

Nya looked confused. "I didn't hear anything," she replied.

Wu glanced at the others. "Maybe it was a false alarm," he suggested. He began to head toward the monastery. "Come on, let's check it out."

The others hurried after him. Jay, who had come to his full senses again, walked up beside Nya. The girl glanced sideways at him and she tilted her head. "What's with the moss?" she asked.

Jay looked down at his wound. "Er... It was all we could find," he murmured.

Nya gazed at him worriedly. "We should get that checked," she said.

"After we make sure Kai is alright," Jay added.

They immediately rushed up the stairs and headed for Kai's room. Wu burst through the door and the others followed. He drew to a halt in front of Kai's bed, where the blankets were sloppily hanging off the side as if someone had gotten off in a hurry. Wu's breath quickened and he turned to the others.

"Check the hospital room," he told them. "Maybe he went to rest in there."

Garmadon nodded and he darted down the hall, Nya and Jay following. Wu went back over to Cole and Zane. "Let's go see if Kai's elemental sword is still here," he said.

The two ninja followed him nervously as they made their way down the hall. Fear rose inside of Cole. He didn't want to think about what he'd do if they found that Kai was dead. Just when I thought he'd live again, he mused, remembering how he had thought Kai would never wake up again.

Wu came to an abrupt halt, and Cole and Zane saw what he saw. The painting they had hidden the elemental sword behind was on the floor and the weapon was gone.

Just then, footsteps pounded from the hall, and Garmadon, Nya, and Jay rejoined them. "No sign of him in the hospital room," Nya reported.

Wu took a deep breath. "Lloyd was definitely here," he stated.

Jay shifted his feet uneasily. "Why didn't Kai call us?" he wondered.

Cole looked down and saw something broken on the ground. He crouched and picked it up, recognizing Kai's communication device. "Looks like he didn't have the chance to," he murmured.

Fear flashed in everyone's eyes.

"But where is my brother?" Nya whimpered.

"He's gotta be here somewhere," Wu said. "Come on!"