Chapter 9

Cole sat at the edge of his hospital bed the next morning, running his fingers through his hair. His whole body throbbed, but at least the worst of the pain was gone. That was more pain than I could bear, he thought. Something terrible must've happened to Lloyd, or if not, something will one day.

Cole drew in a shaky breath. His stomach felt tighter than usual and every time he took a breath it hurt. How am I supposed to deal with all this? he wondered desperately. I have no idea what to do.

He gazed across the room to where Garmadon was sitting and resisted a gasp as a tingling pain swarmed through him. That's it, he thought, finally agreeing to admit it. I need help.

Gritting his teeth, Cole rose to his feet and headed over to Garmadon, sitting beside him. The sensei was staring at the window, barely noticing Cole's appearance.

"Sensei, please," Cole pleaded. "I need someone to guide me through this!"

Garmadon didn't reply.

Cole stared at him desperately. "Every day, the visions deepen, the pain grows." His voice shook. "I-I don't know what to do!" He took a deep breath. "I would ask Kai, but... but I can't. Just like how I can't deal with this anymore!" His throat tightened. "This is all just so... so new and—and I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it, and it's just... it's a lot."

Cole felt his eyes swell with tears. "I thought I could handle it, but I can't," he whispered. "It's just too hard. I need someone to help me through it." A tear ran down his cheek and his voice cracked. "I can't do it alone."

Cole held back tears as he desperately waited for a response. But, as he expected, he got nothing. He took a deep breath, struggling to steady his emotions when he heard footsteps behind him.

"Cole," Wu called. "Breakfast is ready, if you're hungry."

Sniffling, Cole nodded and rose to his feet. Wu gazed at him with concern as he walked past. "Are you okay?" he asked.

Cole blinked away the last of his tears. "Fine."

* * *

Around noon, Lloyd found himself in the midst of another food fight. He rolled out of the way of someone and found himself back to back with Joseph.

Joseph drew back his bow, loaded with arrows, while Lloyd shot out energy balls. "Bet you never had this much fun back in the monastery," Joseph chuckled.

"No way!" Lloyd agreed. "If I started a food fight there, my uncle would flip!"

The two continued to throw things at everyone and dodging the flying food when a red flash suddenly shot in front of Lloyd's vision.

The green ninja froze in alarm. "Kai?" he gasped out before he could stop himself.

Then a blue flash showed beside him.

He whipped around. Jay?

He turned again as he saw a black flash. His breath quickened. Cole?

His mind whirled as he saw a white flash, then a light red. Zane? Nya?

Something wet suddenly hit his cheek.

He jerked back to reality to find a slab of butter on his face. But he didn't even try to wipe it off as his heart pounded in his chest.

Then someone gave him a nudge. "Get your head out of the clouds, Garmadon!" Joseph hissed. "Or you'll get smothered!"

Lloyd shook his head, struggling to fight down panic. He trembled as he looked around at all the colors flashing before him. "I... I..." He took a breath. "I have to go."