Chapter 10

The sun set below the horizon as Cole headed up the stairs. He had just finished dinner and was ready to go to sleep. I can't stay up any longer with all this, he thought. I just hope I can sleep soundly without any visions waking me up.

He sighed as he sank onto his bed and drew the blankets over him. Fighting down pain, he closed his eyes and almost immediately found himself out in the forest. He gave an exasperated sigh. Oh, come on, he thought. Just when I thought I could get a good night's rest.

He wandered through the trees, noticing how dark it was. It's usually bright and sunny when I'm dreaming, he remembered. So why is it so dreary?

He began to feel creeped out at the eerie silence when he suddenly heard a groan of pain in the distance. He froze. "Wh-who's there?" he called.

When no one replied, Cole warily slunk toward the sound. He rounded a large tree and found himself in a small clearing. Movement caught his eye, and he turned to find another person leaning against another tree, panting with pain.

Cole's eyes widened in shock as he recognized him. "Kai?"

Kai turned around at the sound of his name. "Cole," he greeted.

Cole was surprised to hear how weak the red ninja's voice sounded and he rushed over to him. "Are you okay?" he asked with concern.

Kai's eyes glittered with pain, but it was obvious he was trying not to show it. "As okay as I can be," he croaked.

"Kai, it's been a long time," Cole started again. "When are you going to wake up? When will we see you again?"

Kai looked at the ground. "That's a hard question to answer," he murmured.

Cole followed his gaze and realized for the first time that half of Kai's legs were gone. His head shot back up in alarm. "Kai, what's happening to you?" he prompted.

Kai gave a soft shrug. "I can't be in this dream world forever," he breathed. "Especially when I'm in pain."

Cole stared at him. "So you are going to wake up soon?" he asked hopefully.

Kai shook his head. "That's not what I meant."

"Then what did you mean?" Cole questioned, growing worried.

Kai sighed. "I'm fading, Cole," he said. "Every day the pain grows and I get weaker. There's no telling when or if it'll end."

Cole's breath quickened. "But, when you fade, you'll wake up again, right?"

Kai didn't respond.

"Kai?" Cole prompted.

Kai looked up at him again. "Cole, the only way for me to wake up again is if Lloyd gets a sudden burst of anger," he stated. "And I don't mean just frustration. I mean real, pained fury."

"B-but I thought the worst of Lloyd's anger is over," Cole stammered. "I-I thought we were trying to calm him down, not anger him again!"

Kai only stared back at him, eyes blazing intensely.

Cole's eyes widened as he understood. "No, Kai!" he protested. "That can't be right!"

"Saving Lloyd is more important than saving me." Kai's voice cracked.

Cole's heart pounded in his chest and panic welled up inside of him. "B-but you can't go!" he gasped. "We need you! I need you!"

Kai laid his hand on Cole's shoulder. "You don't need me, Cole," he murmured. "You can handle this. You're ready."