Three | Freedom Funeral

Augusto Cyrus

"So you're telling me that Mogrea is taking people without being seen?" Looking around the room, everybody nods. I bring my fingers to the bridge of my nose, rubbing the upcoming headache away.

"Your majesty, there's some pups that say they have witnessed it, even other wolves within the village. Some even say that they go into the forest on their own." One of Ablela's warriors speaks up, his voice wavering from his nerves. Willingly go? That doesn't seem right.

"All I'm saying is that either something is drawing them towards getting captured or they are being tricked into it. How much longer will it take till another kingdom are targeted?" Sinclair speaks.

"You may have something there Stephen." I point out, "Let's break it down. There's a 30 year time frame of silence, yeah sure there's captures here and there but now? They are getting too cocky with such matters. How many people have been captured within the last 3 months?"

They rummage through their files and all look down at the sheet of paper. "About 6 people, so that means they need to have a couple days to find a new victim."

I point, "Exactly. With our luck that time frame will become shorter and shorter and we will have less of a chance of finding your people."

"Then it's decided. We shall be Allies if something like another war comes up." Evergreen implies. We shake on it.

As everyone takes their leave with a shaken deal, Sinclair takes his leave but closes the door instead. His hand remains on the door for a moment, almost as he's trying to put a sentence together.

"Sinclair? Is there more you wish to say?" I ask.

There's silence for a couple more seconds.

"I'm ill Cyrus."

I stare at him. In all my life of knowing this man, from being good friends and business partners with my father, I've never known him to come forth with an issue that's private. Especially to me.

"How ill Stephen?" I ask.

"They think I won't be able to make it past the end of the year." 

Out of all the men it could happen to, it's happening to him. He's a good man. Good to his people and family.

"I have a daughter Augusto." His voice slightly becomes frantic, "For your companionship in war, I'll give you her hand in marriage. She's turning 19 so she will be eligible." He tries to smile, trying to make it seem like it's no big obligation.

Are you fucking kidding me.

Nope he's not. Seth cuts in, I can feel a smile on his face with his sarcastic tone.

You're a fool Seth, you know that right.

Before he could answer I cut him off.

"Stephen, you know how I feel and what I do to women. I don't fucking do marriage or love for that matter."

"I didn't ask for you to love her, Augusto. This is the only way I know how to return something to you."