My Mercedes

After working her maximum hours, Jocelyn locked up the diner and headed to pick up her Mercedes.

'Hey Sadie, ready to go?' She asked as she stepped into the loft after being let in by her best friend, Scott. He scoffed at her weak acknowledgment of his presence. 'Yeah, cause Sadie's the only one here. Right?' Scott's sarcasm matched his friend's but as soon as Jocelyn raised her brow in a deadpan look, nope.

Sadie came running to Jocelyn before being raised up in a sweet, tight hug. 'Mommy, I missed you...Uncle Scott said you were flipping burgers. You don't flip burgers, do you?' The little girl asked while she played with Jocelyn's ponytail. As the woman shook her head, Scott chuckled softly. 'No, sweetie...Uncle Scott's an idiot. Who will lose his freaking privileges, if he doesn't act right!' Jocelyn's threat must have been serious because Scott started to pout like a child.

'Okay, time for us to leave. Where is Chevy? Scott, you better have treated my dog right or I'll be back to kick your white ass.' She looked around for the furry monster but he was nowhere to be found. Sadie put her fingers in her mouth and tried to whistle. Scott laughed at her attempt while Jocelyn tried not to join him. 'Let me do it, Sade. Uncle Scott's laughing cause he can't do it right either.' She whistled loud enough for her dog to hear and suddenly the sound of huffing and scraping of claws could be heard.

Chevy, a 3 year old gray Pit Bull w/ blue eyes, flew onto his owner/mother like his life depended on it. They all laughed at the dog's cute antics. He was barking and licking any part he could find that was initially exposed. Sadie pet his head when he was leashed and ready to go.

When they left, Sadie was all tired and ready to pass out in her bed. So Jocelyn carried her to the car and put her in the backseat. She didn't notice as she put Chevy in that there was someone behind her.

'Joce, skipping out on me. Huh, mamí? What's up?! Oh, you got little mama in the back... Her life for yours, Joce. What do you say?' The stranger clutched Jocelyn by her waist and spoke into her ear as she struggled to get free. He pushed her onto the car as Chevy barked wildly like a crazed animal. 'Let me go, Joshua. I didn't take nothing that didn't belong to me. I don't owe you shit!' She breathed deeply and as soon as she felt him frisking her, she whipped around with her Mace.

He chuckled at seeing her with the Mace like it was going to stop his pursuit. She knew this that's why she sprayed him in the eye, kicked him in the privates, and pulled out of her bag the real weapon. His sudden need to hold himself was gone as he saw the gun pointed at him.

'Yo Joce, we go way back. I know that you aren't going to kill me. You'd never hurt me like that...' Joshua pleaded as his eyes grew red and he felt the need to scratch them out. Jocelyn scoffed at his security in their old friendship. 'You set my brother up and let him get killed. You expect me to let you roll up on me like we are old friends going to get a ice cream. Give me one good reason...' She started as she cocked the gun and he panicked.

He yelled for her to stop. 'Stop, I know-I know where Jovan is. He's not dead, the Boss... He faked Jovan's death so he could go overseas with a new identity.' Joshua breathed heavily as he kept his hands in a visible place. When he started to reach in his pocket, Jocelyn pointed the gun at his head. 'I'm going to give you my phone and you can call him right now. No bullshit. Joce, I wouldn't lie to you.' He didn't feel comfortable as she shook her head and the gun shook along with it.

A loud noise broke her concentration, she almost pulled the trigger but raised the gun in time to shoot at a brick wall. 'Are you crazy?! I came to help you find out the truth.' Joshua pleaded. Jocelyn rolled her eyes and wiped away a small amount of tears that slipped out. 'Yeah cause when I go to help someone, I make them feel like they are about to get mugged as well. Don't play me for naïve, you ass! If you bother me again, I will pull the trigger, Josh.' She got into her car with a last glance to her old friend who seemed to still be recovering from the hit between his legs.

***

'What the hell, Jay? When did you get a gun?' Scott whispered loudly as he handed Jocelyn some Starbucks. She gave him a hostile look. There were dark circles under her eyes and she felt like crap. Her night consisted of calming her dog and getting her niece to sleep after being awaken by her crazed dog. 'When I figured that Mace was good for hurting a man's babymaker but nothing else.' Jocelyn took a tentative sip of her Frappuccino as she pulled out a box from the top of her refrigerator.

She opened it with a pin code while Scott watched in fascination. He didn't speak for his curiosity was peaked. 'Can I trust you with something, Scott? I need you to be there for Sadie if anything happens to me. Here in this box has everything you need to start a new life. Will you do this for me?' Jocelyn just asked him to be Sadie's guardian if she were harmed in any way. He began to panic. Jocelyn saw it in his eyes.

'Just trust me. Don't ask, don't tell. That's the code, please.' She looked at him as if she knew that nothing would be okay. He agreed with a silent nod. 'Well, my coffee appetite is seriously depleted now.' Scott whispered weakly. Jocelyn hit his hip with her own. 'No, you still going to drink that cause your a coffee whore.' He chuckled with a quick nod.

Chevy started barking loudly. Jocelyn opened the sliding door for him to enter the backyard. She watched him attack some squirrels before starting to do his business.

'Eww, Chevy's pooping!' Sadie yawned as she walked over to Jocelyn. The woman smiled down at the barely awake girl before leading her to the kitchen table. 'We all poop, Mercedes. You, me, Uncle Scott, and Chevy... If we didn't all that toxic waste would build up inside of us and BOOM! We would turn into human mush.' Jocelyn set down a box of Lucky Charms and milk before starting on some other choice breakfast foods.

Scott sat down and attacked the box of cereal like he was starving. 'What? Didn't eat at home? Again?' Jocelyn asked as she put some bacon into the frying pan. He shrugged like it was no big deal. 'If you are having money problems, I can help.' Scott stopped eating and stared at the woman working hard to feed her and Sadie. He wouldn't dare admit he needed her more than he did. But Jocelyn was like a mother figure to him.

'Nope, I'm going to work for it.' He nodded proudly as Sadie smiled widely. She was singing in her head about fairies and stars. Jocelyn set down a platter after ten minutes and watched Scott practically eat almost every piece of bacon off of it. 'Yeah, work isn't one of your best points. You're blonde for crying out loud.' She whispered.

'Hey, I take offense! My mom was a blonde and she was the Valedictorian of her Senior class of college.' Scott bragged. Jocelyn smiled at the way he always came to his mom's defense even when he claimed to hate her. 'I bet, Scotty. I have today off so what do you guys want to do. We have a whole day to act rowdy.' She exclaimed.

Sadie finished up her cereal and went out to check on Chevy. She heard a weird noise from the side of the house. 'Mommy, there's a funny noise.' And the woman appeared seemingly ready to protect Sadie.

A cliffhanger!