Perception

The test was...

'Joce, what are you doing up so late? This afternoon you scared me and now you are not sleeping. What's going on?' Dom's voice made the air thicker for Joce than she could imagine.

Her eyes watered with tears as she spun around.

The test was held tightly in her hand.

'Is that a test? Did Mia give that to you? Was it a scare? Are we not being careful enough? Joce, please...say something, anything.'

She stared ahead at Dom's bare chest.

It looked inviting.

Would it still be as inviting once she told him?

Would this make or break them?

Everything was confusing for a moment, then she snapped back like nothing.

'I'm not...sure you'd understand. I need you to sit down and for us to talk about this before I even consider giving you an answer. Please...'

'Okay, sure.'

'Not here, but the kitchen.'

Joce took a seat at the kitchen counter and ran her fingers through her hair after placing the test face down in the middle of them. Her mind was in space right now. All she knew at the moment was Dom and Joce, Dom and Joce, Dom and Joce.

'Are you--?'

'If I was, would you be excited or disappointed? If I wasn't, would you be excited or disappointed?'

'Excited. You want to know why, no don't put me in that category, Joce. Look at me...' He grabbed her chin to raise their eyes to the same level.

'Dom, this is not just one life, but three lives being altered. Say what you mean and mean what you say.'

Joce bit back tears as her teeth chewed on her bottom lip.

'I do. This between us has been rocky, but that's what family is. Ups and downs, good or bad, and all the in betweens. I have everything but that chick who is ready to Ride or Die no matter what. Letty was there, But I couldn't connect to her level...'

'I'm your family.' Joce whispered as she smiled through the tears staining her face.

'And if you are, that baby is just as much apart of me as it is to you.'

'I am.'

'You are what?'

'Happy you said that.'

She flipped over the test and Dom's eyes grew dark for a moment then his ultimate emotions shone through.

'You're not sick from a stomach bug and you never have been?'

'Uh Uh. I'm pregnant, Dom.'

The sounds of sirens outside broke their happy moment of silence. Joce froze in shock. How? Why? What?

After a moment of waiting, Dom rushed to the front of the house to check it out. He was greeted with police officers pointing their guns at Joce's new ranch home. And they were shouting something.

'Dominic Toretto, come out with your hands in the air!'

Joce had followed him quietly, not wanting to miss out on what was going on. She gasped when they were calling Dom's name. This was not a nightmare that she could wake up from.

Dom was in trouble.

'Go! Go, please! I don't want them to come in here and wake Sadie. Or try to manhandle either of us.'

'One last kiss.'

'No, one more kiss.'

Joce placed a soft kiss on Dom's lips before placing a hand on his chest. She pushed him towards the door as her other hand fell to her stomach.

'Come slowly!'

They yelled as Dom opened the door and Joce almost ran to follow him, but she couldn't be reckless with a child upstairs and one in the oven.

She needed to keep her head on straight for the moment.