Honor

The two of us stumble back into the apartment, carrying our loot from the Chinese restaurant from down the block.

I drop my bag onto the kitchen counter, "You know we really need to stop going out to eat practically every night." I say with a half laugh while taking the food out of the bag.

Grace stops removing her food and looks at me like I've just slapped her, "Are you saying you hate Chinese food? Are you saying you hate all fast food places and junk food? God! How do you live?" she says, being over dramatic. It's what she lives for.

I toss the now emptied bags into the trash and we take our food to the couch and turn on the tv. "You know," Grace says while still chewing her food, "You're right, this stuff is bad. For YOU. You really need to cut back."

My eyes go wide and my mouth hangs slightly open. "Ha, are you calling me fat cause I get WAY more exercise than you. I work at a dance studio, love." I say while laughing and trying not to choke on my Chicken Lo Mein.

"No," Grace says, a more serious yet mocking tone covering her face, "You don't wanna be fat when it comes to the wedding."

This for some reason makes me burst out laughing. "Grace! I'm not the one getting married. My brother is! I've got nothing to worry about. All I have to do is be the Maid of Honor and that's it!"

We both start laughing like the little kids we were growing up and suddenly a bittersweet sadness hits, "I can't believe Henry's getting married." I say while staring at my bowl. "I mean my older brother. Getting married."

"Yeah. I mean, I'm really happy Henry's getting married in all but I'm not too happy about going back home to help out. We moved here to get AWAY from home. Not to go back! Why couldn't he have planned the wedding on a beach?" Grace says, and I whole heartedly agree with her.

"Well, I have to go back because of the whole Honor thing and family stuff, but you have to go back because you are practically family so... It sucks to suck!" I say while sticking my tongue out at her.

Grace scrunched her face up and attempted to hit me with a lump of her food but it flew over my shoulder and onto the floor. "I should have chosen a different best friend, then this wouldn't ha-" She was interrupted by a ring coming from her computer.

We both got up from the couch and while she went to the desk where her computer lay, still ringing, I went to clean up the mess she made on the floor.

"Oh it's Blake! Hey babe, I missed you."

Blake is Grace's boyfriend. They've been dating for about three years and they were pretty serious, but their relationship was long distance yet they made it work extremely well. It was kind of inspiring.

"Hey babe", you hear his voice sound from the computer, "I've missed you too. Jade there?"

"I'm here!" I yell from the kitchen, " I'm cleaning up your girlfriend's mess, as usual."

Blake's laughs sounds odd coming from the computer's speakers, "That's my girl."

I roll my eyes and Grace goes back to talking with Blake. As I clean, I notice the way Grace acts when talking to him.

My brother is getting married. Grace has her love I think, I wonder when it'll be my turn. I push the thoughts aside as I continue cleaning the mess on the floor.