Late

"Okay guys, are you ready? This time we're gonna practice with the music." I say as I help some of the student teachers with the younger teen group.

I press play and Maps by Maroon 5 blares from the speakers in the studio.

"Alright guys. 5, 6, 7, 8 and step right, turn. There you go! Now body roll and straight. You guys are doing great! Keep it up!" The students really were doing great. I tore my gaze from the group to steal a glance at the clock. It's 3:07.

"Oh shit." I whisper to myself.

"Hey Melissa, you think you can handle this group on your own for the rest of the day?"

The young girl nods hesitantly.

"Thanks. You're a lifesaver! You're gonna do fine. Just make sure they keep practicing and if you think there are any steps the group is having trouble with have them spot practice it. You'll do great!" I say and give the girl a smile before exiting the room.

I head to my office, grab my purse, keys, and phone and run to my car. I already know I'm going to be late getting to the hotel.

I fumble with my keys as I try to unlock my car. Once I do, I slide in and set my purse in the passenger seat and turn on the car.

What a great way to make a first impression by being late. Just great. I knew I should have set an alarm I think to myself.

I connect my phone to the Bluetooth in the car and play one of my playlists from Spotify and decide to give a heads up to everyone I'm gonna be late.

Me: Hey guys, I'm sorry. I'm gonna be about 15 minutes late. I got held up at the studio.

My phone goes off almost immediately.

Grace: 👏👏👏😂😂

Thomas: That's perfectly fine. We'll meet you in the lobby.

Me: Thanks! And I'm really sorry🙈

Dylan: Wow. You really are Henry's sister. 😂😂

Me: Oh shh😂

I set my phone in the little cup holder and pulled out of the lot.

The feeling of panic that overcame me slowly washed away as the wind blew and the song Young and Set by Dylan Reynolds filled my ears.