Robert

I finished singing and looked up at Ashley, my heart was beating so fast I thought it was going to jump out of my chest. I had never been this nervous doing anything in my whole life. I much rather be feeding the biggest croc or jumping one than this. This was hard. I had no idea how Ashley was going to react once I confessed my feelings for her, but I wanted to get her outside so she could remember what all she has to look forward to and the good things she enjoys and help her get some fresh air to hopefully feel better. And Bindi suggested some grand romantic gesture and I felt that this would be a good way to tell her.

And she looked so beautiful. Sure she might have been unshowered (which, understandably so, you're not supposed to get stitches too wet for a few days) and was just in messy sweats and had her hair in a messy bun atop of her head, but I thought she was beautiful all the same.

She was the type of girl who didn't care enough to wear makeup, but she didn't need it anyway. She had her gorgeous green eyes and her dark brown hair, and her beautiful skin tone. She had a light dash of freckles on her face, and her back was covered in them. She had those scars on her wrist that I noticed again, the moonlight causing them to glisten slightly. I suspected they were from her hurting herself, back when her dad passed and the people at her school weren't the nicest about it. It pained me to suspect she had done that to herself. But I didn't want to ask right now.

"Robert...." she whispered, her voice cracking. I couldn't tell if she was going to cry out of sadness or out of happiness.

"No, Ashley, listen. I've liked you ever since we were kids," I said, explaining, "but at first when you started getting boyfriends and dating I didn't want to admit that I liked you, cause I never thought you'd like me back. I just dismissed my jealousy as wanting to be a protective older brother figure to you.

"But then you started talking to Jackson and I didn't want to see you hurt. I knew what was going to happen and I knew if I told you I was concerned and didn't like him, you wouldn't have listened to me anyay. But I knew when it happened I had to be there for you. I hate how it happened and that it even happened at all. Trust me, I hate to see you hurt, both physically and emotionally," I rambled on, the words spilling out of my mouth in a sloppy confession that even I couldn't have stopped.

"I like you, Ashley, a lot. And I would like to try to give dating a go, and if it doesn't work out we'll still be friends and we'll make the best of it, but I'm not worried about that. I think we'll be good for each other and we can make it work. Hell, even both of our families think so." I finished.

I looked at her face, trying to figure out what she was thinking. I couldn't tell if she was happy or upset.

"Robert...Are you serious? Me? You like me? You're amazing and incredible and are doing so many cool things with the zoo and your photography and you're badass and you could have anyone. But me? I'd reckon you much rather be wrestling a croc or feeding the 40 something gators at the zoo than be with me.." She said, there was doubt in her voice, and I don't blame her. She's never had a guy treat her well or anything.

"Well like I just sang, I'd fall apart without you, and I want to make you feel wanted. You deserve that and so much more and I want to be the one to give it to you, even if it is just for a little while, if we outgrow each other or if you move on to bigger things in life and leave me behind. But I'm not going anywhere."

She struggled to her knees and sat up, hugging me and burying her face in my neck. I could feel her tears drip on me, and knew she was crying. I adjusted myself so she was sort of in my lap and hugged her close, rubbing small circles in her back as she silently sobbed.

"We don't have to if you're not ready to try dating someone again or if you don't think we'll work out," I said, reassuring her that if she needed more time she could have it.