Ashley

I made my way up the steps to the deck and through the back door. Cait was sitting at the dining table eating.

"Mums are busy, I made brekkie for dinner," she said in between mouthfuls of food.

"What did they get busy with?" I asked out of curiosity, going into the kitchen and getting a plate of food. Cait had made eggs, diced potatoes, bacon, and toast.

"Your mum doing rescues, mine helping out with the birds in the wildlife hospital. A few of them weren't looking good so she wanted to stay and help." Cait explained.

"I kind of feel like I haven't seen my mum lately," I said, sitting down across from her at the table.

"Yeah, it just seems like things always pick up before the holidays. I'm sure things will go back to mostly normal soon."

"Yeah, I hope so."

We finished eating and then went to the living room to play some Mario Party.

We were halfway finished through a board game match when our mums came home.

"There you two are," Cait and I said simultaneously.

"Yeah, I'm sorry sweetheart, we just got so busy," my mum said.

"Did you two eat?" Elaine asked.

"Yeah, Cait made us brekkie for dinner," I replied.

"That's good, honey," My mum said before going back into the kitchen to make herself something to eat.

Our mums made themselves dinner and came to eat it in the living and to watch Cait and I finish our game. It was fun with our mums cheering us on and making jokes with us.

Cait and I said goodnight and went up to my room.

"So what did you end up getting Robert? Just that Star Wars sweater?" She asked, gently putting her hands in the guinea pig cage to scoop one of them up. She sat down on my bed, guinea pig in her lap and looked at me.

"Well, yeah. I don't know what else to get him," I said, walking into my bathroom and going into my closet. I changed into a loose pair of lounge shirts and a t-shirt, leaving my khaki shirt and jeans on the counter to wear tomorrow.

"Hmm... I do have this," I said, sitting on my desk chair and grabbing a painting. "It's Noosa, she's a sea turtle we saved together at the beach. I know I didn't specifically like make it for him, but maybe he would like it?"

"Aw, that is so sweet! I think he'd love it, and it would be a good reminder of a little adventure you two had together," Cait said, gently petting my guinea pig. I noticed she had Annie, who was the more human-affectionate of the two.

"You think so?"

"He'd be crazy not to! If he really likes you, he'd like anything you give to him, love."

"Yeah, you're probably right. And like you said, it's a good reminder of a little adventure we had."

"What ended up happening to her? Noosa, I mean," Cait asked.

"She was tangled in a fishing line and had a hook stuck in her flipper. She's on the mend now, and we should be able to release her soon," I said as I got up and set the painting in my pile of Christmas gifts, just in case Robert came up to my room in the next 3 days and saw it.

"Oh, that's so sweet! I'd love to come when you release her," she said as I sat back down in my office chair. I rolled it over to the guinea pig cage and scooped out my other one, Clover. I figured she deserved some cuddle time too.

"Of course! All 3 of our families can go, it would be a nice multi-family outing," I joked.

"I wish I had more hobbies like you, like art. It must be nice to have an escape, ya know?"