A Sharing of Information

Teal stared at the two closed doors leading to the Hall of Memories. The crowd of welcome bearers left politely enough and now waited in the large courtyard adjacent to the hall a short distance away. They stood awkwardly amongst the flowering gardens, fish ponds and lattice decorations, not knowing what to do with themselves in such an unprecedented situation. Traditionally speaking, no one could enter the official dining hall before the Emperor and Empress.

Teal felt a person beside him and turned to look at Ralen. Lana and Delba also stood to the side waiting. Even Prince Vox and Prince Salren had been sent outside the hall much to their disgust. The Empress and Jale were the only ones who had been allowed to remain in the hall with the Emperor at his orders.

"I wouldn't worry too much. You did well," Ralen said to Teal. "Glad there wasn't a repeat of the Prince Yernal situation."

Teal let out an honest laugh. "I have a sneaking suspicion I would not be standing here now if that had occurred."

Ralen clapped him on the back. "You speak the truth." He nodded towards the outside courtyard. "Continue to be careful however," he warned. "Prince Yernal is here as an honored guest representing his kingdom for the celebrations." Ralen squeezed his shoulder. "If you see him walking anywhere near you, just walk the other way."

"I'm more worried about what they're talking about in there," he said, nodding towards the Hall of Memories, "and what the Empress Dowager knows about me."

"Ah, I wouldn't worry about it," Ralen said firmly.

"Always the optimist, aren't you?" Teal sighed.

"No, he isn't," Delba suddenly interjected, "but I agree that you shouldn't be too worried right now."

Teal was surprised at Delba's sudden support.

"I've seen her slice a person in two with words in front of a far bigger audience and send them away," she continued. "If she had wanted you gone, she would have done it there and then."

"And the Emperor has no say in this?" Teal asked perplexed.

"Aaah, no he does," Ralen said. "But he usually sides with his mother."

Teal frowned.

"It was her husband who founded the empire, after all," Delba added. "And he didn't do it alone. He did it with the strength and support of the Empress Dowager. Why do you think the Emperor liked the idea of Empress Crael so much? She is also a strong-minded woman who has her fingers in many areas of running the empire."

"Still, I wish I could hear what they were talking about," Teal muttered.

<<<>>>

Jale stood quietly, waiting. The Hall of Memories now held only four people: himself, the Emperor, the Emperor Dowager and Empress Crael who remained on her throne, one hand wrapped gently around her large stomach.

He was filled with concern and unease. What did the Empress Dowager know about the Lombock and more specifically, about the presence within Teal? They had scoured the Grand Library and had only found the three texts. Did she have more resources they weren't aware of?

Diligently, Jale watched the Emperor approach his mother, wanting nothing more than to take a step forward and take part in this conversation as well. He swallowed the desire down. The mere fact he was allowed to remain in the same room was indication enough of how far the Empress Dowager liked, trusted and respected the relationship he had with the Emperor. The fact he had also saved the Emperor's life probably had something to do with it, as well.