Delba

Teal climbed into his bed and sighed, only now realizing how exhausting the Emperor's company had been. He also tried to ignore the stir of interest in his body at the sight of the Emperor and Jale together, and with frustration, remembered he wasn't allowed to attend to his own physical pleasure either.

He hadn't given it much thought over the past three weeks, but the last time he'd had sex had been three weeks earlier with Cokrin, before his whole life had been turned upside down. The mad race on the road had not allowed for it. He tried to stop his thoughts from straying to what the Emperor and Jale might be doing right now. Contemplations like that would not help.

A knock on his door interrupted his thoughts. Relieved to be distracted, Teal clambered to his feet just as it swung open.

"My curiosity got the..." a woman began only to stop short. She gasped mid-sentence and took a step back, light from the lanterns hanging along the wall providing enough of Teal's features. "The bastard," she muttered under her breath, "they were right." Elegantly, she covered her mouth as if disgusted at herself for swearing. Now not so bold, she edged back a step.

Teal held up his hands.

"Please, don't be afraid," he begged.

His panicked voice seemed to be enough to cut through her shock, and she stopped. Or it could have also been the two guards who had moved to take a protective stance in front of her. She watched Teal closely, and when he didn't do anything, she squared her shoulders and regained her composure.

"I thought that Jale was playing a joke on me when he told me that you were a Lombock," the woman started again. "I didn't believe him, and I still don't believe it. I can see now why they put two guards at your door."

She tapped them both on their forearms, and the guards stepped aside.

"Delba," she said, "the Emperor's number three consort." She narrowed her eyes, her expression pensive and thoughtful as she stared at him. Finally, she continued, "I had no idea Jale was telling the truth."

Teal sensed the need to be careful. "He was. It's nice to meet you."

Delba was a woman whose body, Teal was sure, could instigate wars. He also sensed a sharp inner intelligence within her beautiful features. Wearing a silk dress depicting her elite social status, her body was an aura of perfumed storax, and her figure was curvaceous and sensually plump. The dress sat low over her shoulders and hinted at the ample bosom underneath. Its bodice was tight showing off more of her curvaceous figure. But unlike the other women Teal saw in the Empire, her wavy brown hair was pulled back in a simple tie, her skin was pale, and her eyes and luscious lips unpainted.

It was at that moment the ship rolled gently to the right, a mere hint of motion that Teal would not have noticed if Delba had not brought her free hand to her stomach.

She moaned. "Just when I think I'm finally getting used to this wretched beast, it teases me and makes my stomach turn." She stepped to the side and clasped the beam next to her for support.

Teal stepped up. "Is there anything I can do to help you?" he asked worriedly. He didn't want her to lose the contents of her stomach at the doorway of his cabin.

"Yes," she replied, still eyeing him with caution. "Distract me."

"That I can do," he said with a laugh. "How about we go get some air. They say it can help."

Delba judged his offer. "The Emperor must deem you safe enough to have you on this ship."

The deck was quiet, and the sky a beautiful display of stars. He suggested the steps that led from one deck to another only to have Delba viciously shake her head. Suddenly feeling uncivilized, Teal coughed, embarrassed. Obviously, Delba was not the type of woman to take a seat on the well-trodden wooden steps of a ship. Instead, her maid who Teal had not seen at first, draped a shawl over her shoulders, and she stood facing out to the banks of the river. The Purple Jade Palace guards stood a short distance away.

"So, are you happy you will be a concubine?" Delba asked, her manner much more composed. "To be chosen is very rare and of the highest of compliments," she said. "And you know, Emperor Rathner is the first emperor in over one hundred years if you include the old Empire, to take official male concubines as well."

"To be honest," Teal spoke knowing he was going to sound even more uncultured. "I don't really know what I'm getting myself into. I've only ever lived in Hulena. I don't know anything about palace life or how to be a concubine to the Emperor."

She eyed him with scrutiny, not in a friendly manner at all, and she gave Teal the impression she could either make a person's life very easy or very difficult. Maybe he shouldn't have disclosed such information to her. After a moment or two of thought, while she analyzed his face, her features softened.

"It's simple. You are here to please the Emperor in his private chambers and while Emperor Rathner beds us all frequently, there is no doubt that the Empress and Jale share his bed the most." She eyed him closely. "But no matter how frequently or infrequently we share his bed, we all treat each other favorably."

Teal noted that she was watching him closely, and then it dawned on him she was subtly prodding to see what his intentions were.

"I will feel privileged no matter how much time I get to spend with the Emperor," he said quickly. "And Jale has informed me that all of the other consorts are very friendly."

Delba smiled. "Diplomatic, aren't you? But I'm glad to hear you are at least starting out on the right foot. The other consorts are wonderful, and I'm sure if you keep that attitude, you'll have no trouble adjusting to life in the Purple Jade Palace. It's a beautiful place. How do you plan to entertain the Emperor?" she suddenly asked.

When Teal looked at her blankly, Delba elaborated, "I paint and I also dance. Lana, she's the other female consort. She's without sight. She can play five musical instruments and is very efficient in supporting the Emperor during his meetings. There's also Ralen." Delba smiled to herself but didn't elaborate on what had caused it. "And of course, you've already met Jale."

"Yes," Teal said. "Jale has been fantastic explaining everything so far."

She hummed in agreement. "I'll tell you something else worthwhile. While Jale will tell you he was the first after the Empress, it is common knowledge that the Emperor and Jale were lovers before he was promised to the Empress. Jale only became the official second consort later."

Teal leaned closer at this vital piece of information, but Delba only continued to look out over the river.

"You'll never find a man more devoted to the Emperor than Jale. He, among many things, oversees the management of the Purple Jade Palace." She glanced at Teal ensuring he was still paying attention. "He is very fair and organized, but he informs the Emperor of everything occurring in the Purple Jade Palace. I would suggest not getting on his bad side."

Teal could feel a real warning in her words. The direction of the conversation however, made him feel uneasy. "How are you feeling now?" he asked. He didn't want to get caught talking about Jale. He glanced at the Purple Jade Palace guards and wondered where their loyalties lay.

"Better," she said. "I'm going to kowtow in front of the Emperor when we return to the capital and beg that he never makes me step on another ship in my entire life."

Teal could not imagine this sophisticated woman kowtowing to anyone. She lifted a perfectly manicured hand, soft and smooth skin that demonstrated only a life of luxury; all signs of a goddess but for the faint gauntness in her cheeks and shadows under her eyes. Her long elegant fingers dared to reach up to the splash of black through his hair. Teal froze feeling the eyes of the guards on his back.

"I can see why you caught the Emperor's attention, Teal. You are very unique. Tell me," she ordered, turning to face him completely. "Do you also have an interest in taking the company of women?"

Her question caught him off guard. "No, I...never..."

"Shame," she said. "You are like an interesting new delicacy placed on one of the palace cook's platters that everyone in the harem is going to beg the Emperor to let them try."

Shocked at the directness of her words, Teal floundered on how to respond.

"And the innocence to go with it, I see. Untouched?"

Teal shook his head.

She smiled knowingly. "The Emperor is going to have fun with you." And before Teal could respond, she ended the conversation. "Walk me back to my room. It's beside yours and Jale's."