Do You Care For Him?

"You can't believe what the captain has written is true?" Teal scoffed, although his voice shook when he spoke. "It can't be real."

"Your eyes glow," the Emperor stated evenly.

Teal's eyes met with Jale, and Teal knew that Jale had already told the Emperor the truth.

"You told me," Jale began, "that when your eyes glow, you fill with calm and you are stopped from attacking, that you feel a presence inside of you. I also felt that presence yesterday!"

The Emperor's face filled with concern, and Teal squirmed on his seat in discomfort.

"This could have been a similar thing to what happened with the captain," Jale continued. "The creature, I mean Lombock, might have wanted to attack him, but he wasn't able to."

Teal glanced at the Emperor as he leaned back in his chair, his expression portraying someone deep in thought.

"Teal, this is not the first time we have come across information that indicate that the Lombock had special capabilities," the Emperor continued for Jale. "A text that Nala found stated that they are shapeshifters of sorts."

"Shapeshifters!?" Teal gasped incredulously.

"That was my initial reaction," Jale told him. "But after what you told me last night and what the texts says, I feel we are nowhere near understanding the truth."

"You're correct," the Emperor said to Jale. "These texts are old and conflicting. How can we know what the truth really is?"

Jale and the Emperor eyed Teal expectantly as if it was now his duty to reveal another secret to confirm their suspicions and answer their questions.

Teal staggered to his feet, uncomfortable in their scrutiny.

"Shapeshift?! I can't shapeshift! It's absurd. I don't believe it." He flung his hands down his body looking at his own skin, nausea filling his stomach.

"The text that Nala analysed stated that in the shapeshifted form, it's possible that you don't even remember shifting, that when you shapeshift you are unaware."

"I am not able to shapeshift," Teal repeated trying to keep the self-doubt out of his voice.

"Teal?" the Emperor asked.

Teal shook his head fearfully. "I promise, I haven't. I can't. I just..."

Jale's eyes narrowed, "You just...?"

Silence fell on their small group. Teal looked back and forth between the Emperor and Jale, while their eyes stared straight at him.

"Please," Teal said at a whisper. "I can't shapeshift into anything."

"When you killed those men, when you were returning the scroll, do you remember attacking them?" the Emperor asked.

"Yes, of course."

A long silence drew out between the small group until the Emperor seemed to arrive at a decision.

"It is fine, Teal," the Emperor spoke. "I believe you and what happened last night with Jale and this chapter, have no bearing on how we feel about you. Jale and I read this chapter before you arrived to stay in my private quarters. Jale was fully aware of it before he met with you here."

Teal's brow rose at that confession. "So, that's why you had a sword?" Teal asked Jale.

Jale chuckled. "You would be surprised by how many weapons are stashed away up here. They aren't just for you."