5 | Cold

Out of curiosity, how did you find this book? Through my other ones? Tags? My profile? Or any other way? I'm super curious and knowing this will help me know how to promote future books! Thank you in advance for letting me know and for reading this book! ❤️

He set fire to the world around him but never let a flame touch her

While his warnings of the night time rang in her head, jaws clamped down on her arm, making her scream out in agony. The terrifying unworldly beast released her suddenly as the ground under them gave away, sending them both into a frozen lake. The creature was no longer interested in using her as a snack, but rather fighting for his own survival now.

It used its claws as anchors in the dirt and clawed it's way out, leaving Posie to drown. She frantically grabbed at the frozen ground, desperately trying to get a grip in the dirt. Though her face was above the water now, she was still finding it almost impossible to breathe. The frigid water sent her body went into shock, locking up her limbs and making her unable to move.

"Posie!" A familiar voice barked in the distance.

For the first time since she's been here, she wanted to call out to him, but it was as if the freezing cold water had frozen her vocal chords. She opened her mouth and nothing but a raspy squeak came out. A tear slipped down her cheek and her head began to slip under the water.

"Posie! Where!?" Kyros spoke, the sheer authority, outrage, entitlement, and jurisdiction all wrapped in his voice was absolutely frightening.

She screamed as someone easily picked her out of the water by the back of the shirt, and that's when the adrenaline kicked in. The said person laid her flat on their chest, and though her screams were hoarse, she thrashed and kicked and did everything she could to get away.

"Posie stop! Posie safe!"

She continued to thrash until she realized it was Kyros. Her movements stilled when their gazes met. He cradled her face as she laid flat on top of him, his heated gaze burning holes into hers.

She opened her mouth to speak, but instead came out a soft whimper, followed by a sob. He saved her, and boy did he look pissed, but yet her shoulders shook in uncontrollable sobbing.

He so terribly wanted to comfort her, but wanted to strangle her all in the same. To whisk her away and remind her she is the safest woman in the galaxy with him, but also instill the living fear of God in her so she'd never run away again.

Through her tears, she spotted the creature that attacked her, dead on the floor. Dead before it could finish the job. She hated herself for feeling a flicker of gratitude, of feeling protected. The only downside was that her "protector" looked like he wanted to kill her at this moment.

She couldn't take it anymore and sobbed even harder, collapsing against the massive alien's torso. She wrapped her arms around his waist in a hug, trembling violently against his body.

He laid there, shocked, before his brain finally yelled at him to return the gesture, whatever this was. He was mindful of his sharp scales, knowing if they dragged against her the wrong way, they could cut her. Being as gentle as he could, he placed his right arm around around her, holding her against him.

He sat up and cradled her in his large arms. "Posie safe and warm." He rough voice did his best to encourage as he tenderly scooped her up and ran them back to their home, praying he wouldn't slip on some ice along the way.

He thanked God no one was around to see them and rushed her to the bed. He tugged wordlessly at her clothes, asking her to take them off.

She continued to tremble, her lips turning blue.