12 | Heir

3.3k reads?? #11 in new adult?? We were #9 in alien?? Out of thousands of books!? Thank you sm everyone!

Update: we gained 2k reads in under 24 hours. Now we're up to 93k reads! 🥹

Another update: 304,000 reads and the highest rankings - #1 young adult, #1 alien love, #1 Area 51, #1 stockholm syndrome, #1 dark, #1 arranged marriage, #2 mates, #2 wedding, #3 fiction, #3 alien, and #3 king.

That is absolutely CRAZY! Out of thousands of books, I can't believe this book ranked that high! Thank you again for all your love and support 🩷

Italic dialogue is Kyros's language.

I've been making a home for your love in the deepest part of my heart. I promise to keep you safe.

Kyros ended up getting out of the water, naked as the day he was born, to talk with his people. Thankfully, he found a cloak for Posie to wear until she could dry off and put on her normal clothes.

She heard countless whispers around them, not knowing what all of it meant, but Kyros did.

"It must be a female human."

"No, it can't be."

"You think there's more of them? If not, how is it fair only he gets her?"

"Maybe we can share. It's only fair."

"Enough!" Kyros's boomed over all the noise, enough to make Posie flinch. All the murmuring and chattering immediately ceased, and he continued in an authoritative tone. "We will go back and discuss this further. Understood?"

The chatter resumed in hushed tones, but they did as ordered and made their way back- not without a few longing and/or suggestive looks at Posie. She had no idea what they were all saying about her, but the assumptions she made her in head was enough to make her shudder.

Ziba approached Kyros and placed a hand on his scaled shoulder. "There was only so much I could do to stop them. I'm sorry, my friend."

He nodded in understanding and watched as Ziba and everyone left, leaving just him and Posie.

Kyros turned to face her and the terrified look on her face was enough to shatter his heart. He could practically feel the fear radiating off of her and noticed her little tremors as she shook. She clutched the cloak tighter around her and gazed at him in worry.

With a sigh, he got down on one knee to appear smaller, though he was still close to eye level with her. As carefully as he could, he reached out and took her trembling small hand in his.

Before he could speak, she whispered, "what were they saying? What did you say? Are they.... Are they going to rape me? Or kill me?"

His eyebrows furrowed at the unfamiliar word.

She closed her eyes for a moment to collect herself and swallowed the lump in her throat, silent tears still falling down her face. "Are they going to try force themselves on me and impregnate me?"

His eyes widened as he gently tugged her closer to him, and his hands completely enveloped her forearms. "Posie, look at me." When her watery eyes met his, he continued, "you are safe with me. I promise."

This was coming from the man who's original plan was to impregnate her. When that plan failed, he basically kidnapped her. She finally learned to trust him, but now that trust was thrown out the window.

Without a word, she pulled her arms out of his hold and sniffled. Her blank gaze fell to the ground and she weakly gestured for him to start walking. His heart sunk at her lack of reply, but he understood all in the same.