22 | Betrayal

This book is #6 in fiction rn out of thousands of books!? This book gained over 3,000 reads in one week!? 118k reads in total!? That's insane! Thank you everyone so so much for all your love you've shown to my book(s).

If you like my books, I have more on my profile!

I'm really trying to get my book, "Lycanthrope," more exposure. It would mean the world to me if you checked it out!

Update: 325,000 reads!? Thank you!!

Please don't forget to comment and vote!

•••

It was half an hour later when Kyros returned. Thankfully, Posie hadn't progressed too much since he's been gone. The moment he entered the room, she knew something was wrong. He was pale as a ghost, his usual smile when he greeted her was halfhearted, masking how he actually felt.

Once he was sure she'd be okay if the doctor temporarily left the room, Crid and Vehmon took John out of the room so the married couple could have some privacy.

Kyros knelt down by Posie's side and gently took her hand in his. He smiled at her, though it didn't quite reach his eyes. His expression almost seemed apologetic. That's when she realized he was trembling.

Before she could say anything, he quietly spoke, "how are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," she told him and gently brushed his hair out of his face. "Don't worry about me. What's going on?"

He sighed and placed his large hand over hers that was on his face. "What are we going to name them?"

Her eyebrows furrowed. "The baby?" When he nodded, she asked, "why are you asking now? What are you trying to keep from me?"

Sad, tired eyed scanned her over, admiring every detail. After a beat of silence, he whispered, "I don't have time to explain, but you need to go with the humans."

She leaned back, her hand retracting from his face. "What did you say?"

His hands engulfed hers, pleading. "I'm sorry, Posie. This is the only way."

"The only way for what?" She pushed back.

"To keep everyone safe."

"Don't be absurd!" She whisper shouted, holding her own. "We can't trust humans anymore. They could kill you!"

Kyros turned to look at her, expression composing, but it wasn't enough to completely hide the fear. Slowly, his hands drew upwards to cup her face. "It will be okay. I'll be okay."

She shook her head. "You can't just say that." She rasped out.

The silence stretched, as if there was no better lie or plan that her husband could come up with. Somehow, that terrified her even more. He always had a plan. He always had something.

He released a shaky breath. "They won't hurt you."

"You really think that makes me feel better right now!? I don't want them to hurt you, me, or our baby. They'll-" she drew in a sharp breath. "They'll take you away from me. They'll put us in a lab, or something. And you -"

"You're brave enough and smart enough," he softly assured her. "You're going to survive this just fine. Okay?"

She reached out to grab his arms. "But what about you-"

"This is the plan," He interrupted her and held her hands in his. "They're going to take you, and you're... you're going to tell them that I kidnapped you."

"No!"

"This isn't up for discussion." His voice brooked for no room for argument. "You'll tell them that you just did whatever you had to do to survive me, you will give them whatever information by any means necessary if it gets you a better deal out of this."

"Kyros, I'm not going to betray you."

"It's not betrayal if I'm asking you to do it."

"I will not do it!" She cried.

He shot her a look, eye flashing, and familiarly exasperated.

Then, it dawned on her. "What did they threaten you with?" He'd never back down from a fight. He remained silent, jaw clenched, his eyes boring into hers. Her eyes felt hot, everything in her felt like it was slowly crumbling. "You can't just go down without a fight! You can't just let them manipulate you after everything. You always have a plan. You always have an out."

"And I do this time." He promised, meeting her gaze. "For you. They don't get to hurt you, that is the most important thing. If you really trust me like you say you do, you have to understand that this is the best plan I could come up with. Do you understand me?"

"Kyros, please, I..."

"Do you understand?" He repeated, putting emphasis on each syllable.

"Kyros," she whispered, voice cracking. "What about the birth of our baby? You won't be there...." She drawled and that's when it really hit her. "How will I ever see you again if I have to tell them you kidnapped me?"

His heart lurched sickeningly in his chest, his stomach squeezing. His rough hands lightly stroked her tear stained cheeks. Her eyes met his and he tried his hardest to memorize them- for after today, he might never see them again. He'd always fight to see her again, but he also had to do what would keep her safe.

For the first time in his life, he felt an odd sensation in his eyes. It came from the back first before moving to the front, making his eyes sting. He blinked, confused by the foreign feeling. Posie's breath caught in her throat and her thumb caught the first tear that trailed down Kyros's face, and the several that came after that.

He sighed and cupped the back of her head, memorizing how soft her hair felt compared to his coarse hair. They moved to cup her face, savoring the feeling of her smooth skin against his rough hands. Everything about them was so different. They were complete opposites and he loved it.

"I love you so much, rebo." He whispered, brokenly. "But we need to leave."

A sob broke past her lips. "There has to be another way."

He rested his forehead against hers, exhaling heavily. "I'll find you again."

"Promise?"

He hesitated, knowing he shouldn't. "I will do everything in my power to be with you and our child again," he told her. "That I promise."

There's was nothing she could do to stop the armed humans from bursting into the room, ripping her away from her husband. She cried and screamed for him, but there was nothing either of them could do to stop the humans. They were out armed and Kyros had made a deal.

One of the armed guards shoved Kyros to his knees, the man that originally planned all this making his appearance once again. Antonio, he learned his name was.

He circled the alien, a mocking smile gracing his lips "Are those... tears?" Antonio nearly laughed.

Kyros ignored him. "You promised me her safety."

The human tilted his head, humming in thought.

Kyros shot to his feet, but froze as soon as several guns were pointed at his head. He'd be no help to Posie if he were dead. "You promised me her safety." He repeated, more urgently.

Antonio grinned. "I promised everyone on your planet's safety. She's not going to be on your planet on your anymore though, is she?"

•••

I'm sorry but also not sorry for the cliffhangers! 😂

Please don't forget to comment, follow, and vote!