22

STILES POV:

Oliver had said only Brunski had the key, so my mission was to find him and trick him into giving it to me, or I could just steal it. I walked to the showers muttering to myself.

"Stay awake Stiles, you gotta stay awak-" As I was looking into the mirror I saw someone showering, normally that wouldn't be unusual in the bathroom but the person showering was Malia.

"Don't worry, Stiles-- you didn't just walk into the girls' room." She says smugly as she continues to shower. 

"Thank god," I muttered. " Umm... okay... so what are you doing in the boys' room?" I asked.

"Showering." She said as if it was obvious. 

"Yea I can see that, I mean I saw that. Well, actually, I didn't see anything, really... I just... There was too much steam too, uh... Not that I would prefer there to be less steam..." I cringe at my words. 

Malia just rolls her eyes. "Stiles, I don't care. In the woods, there was no boys' and girls' room. And, if you really need to know, they keep the water temperature in the girls' room too low-- it's much hotter in here. Ever since I turned back to human, I just can't seem to get warm..." She says her voice trailing off. 

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "Maybe you just have a low core temp. You know, you might just be sick, or..."

"I used to have a fur coat." She interrupts me and although I can't see her face I can tell by the irritation in her voice she wants to slap me across the face.

"Or, it could be... Hey, it might be that. It's probably that." I say my voice trails off as she gets out of the shower and walks over to me without a towel and lacking certain items of clothing.

"Now you're staring," Malia says with a smirk.

"No, I'm not..." I say as firmly as I can because even if I hadn't wanted them to my eyes drifted to her without meaning to.

"Then what are you doing?" She said smugly as she wrapped a towel around herself.

I almost sigh with relief when she does. "Uh... I was kind of wondering why you punched me." I said my voice wavering slightly.

She looks astounded by that. "Did you think I was going to thank you?" 

" No," I say quickly but it's obviously not very convincing. "Maybe. We did kind of save your life." I finish.

"You're right, Stiles. Thank you!" She says sarcastically. "Thanks for invading my home... for putting me on the run... for turning me back to human, so that I could look at my father every day and try to figure out how to explain to him that the reason my sister and mother are dead beacase I almost ate them on a full moon. Thank you so very much." 

"We were just trying to help-" I say defensively.

"You want to help me? Find a way to change me back!" She says exasperated.

That confuses me. "You want to go back? To being a coyote?" I ask cautiously.

" What do you know?" Malia says quickly stepping forward. 

My mind goes to Scott. " I might know somebody who could teach you how to change."  

"Okay. What do you want?" She asked quickly, she was obviously desperate. 

" I need to get into the basement. Which means that I need to get the keys off of that orderly-- the big one." I say the big man's name had slipped my mind.