23

MALENAS POV

I woke up to Stiles screaming. I jerked up as he was tossing on the floor screaming out random strings of words. 

"No! Screw you and your stupid riddles!" He shouted as I was shaking him awake.

"Stiles!" I shouted at him shaking his shoulders. 

"No!" He shouted as he woke up. 

"Sh, shut your mouth, you idiot. They'll hear you!" I whisper shouted at him, slamming my hand over his mouth. Stiles looked at me uncertainly and I remove my hand. 

"Malena? What the hell happened?" He asked groggily as he sat up.

"You and I got caught trying to break into the basement," I say. 

"Fuck, there goes that plan." Stiles shakes his head angrily.

"Bad dream?" I asked cautiously. 

"Yup." He says, obviously not wanting to continue the thought or tell me what happened in the dream, but I have a kind of a good idea of what the dream was about anyway.

"Is it...him?" I asked cautiously as I turned to him.

Stiles nodded. 

"Right," I say awkwardly. 

"Fuck what are we going to do?" He groans as he runs his hands through his hair. 

"Lucky for you, I had a plan if yours failed, which I pretty much was sure it would," I say smiling. Stiles flips me off but is grinning too. "There's another way we can get to the basement, Malia told me about it. It's through the closed unit, where they keep the real psychos."

"Jee, thanks for letting me know after  we get our asses thrown in this prison and are heavily sedated," Stiles says sarcastically.

I grin. "I can't help myself sometimes." 

----

Once we're in the basement we start sifting through piles and boxes of files and papers. I look around completely bewildered. 

"So, do you know what you're looking for?" I ask Stiles who has emersed himself in searching for something. 

"Something to do with that." He says pointing to the backward 5 that has been scratched onto the wall. 

"What's it mean?" I ask curiously. I had never seen it before. 

"Self." He replied shortly as he once again emerged himself in the files.

"Maybe you could tell me more?" I say quietly. 

"It has something to do with him. I'm not sure what yet but it does." Stiles says coldly, turning away from me once again.

I sigh. "Stiles, try to remember I kissed him so I'm in really no position to judge. I just want to help." 

He looks at me with squinted eyes but must decide he does in fact want my help. 

"Fine, but first you have to help me find what I'm looking for," Stiles says dropping the files in his hands as he turns to me. 

--

20 minutes later we're still sifting through files, we've moved to the floor with files spread around us. 

"Wow, this place definitely used to be a lot more fun-- electroshock... ice baths... trephination?" I ask quizzically. 

"That's what Oliver was talking about, trephination," Stiles says sparing a glance at the file in my hands.

"That's where they drill holes in your head right?" I ask as I sort through the file, "Ah, there are even beautiful pictures." I say gagging as there's a black and white photo of a girl with a hole in her head covered by her sweaty blonde hair.