Chapter 8 (2 days later)

Aggie let out a long slow sigh as she leaned on the bathroom sink. This bathroom was too white she thought pointlessly as she glanced at herself in the mirror in the black dress. It was gorgeous lace laid over a silky under layer.  She leaned into the mirror and started applying black eyeliner again. She stopped short of finishing and let out another long sigh to steady herself.

"You don't know these people anymore." She said quietly as she stared at herself in the mirror and leaned back in. "And they don't care for you anymore." She told herself as she finished up drawing the outer corner of her eye.

She was laying the bricks to a wall that would help her keep her distance today. These people... they were not her people anymore and they would not recognize her. Or so she told herself. Today is for them. This mess, this show, it's all for them.

Aggie walked downstairs and Larry stood as he heard her heels hitting softly on the carpet. He straightened his jacket and turned towards her.

"Ready to go?" He asked.

"Ready as I'll ever be." She said looking at her feet. She walked to the kitchen table and collected her purse, keys, and wallet. Larry was trailing behind her. He gently reached around her for her keys.

"I think it's best if I drive." He said quietly as he pulled at them.

Aggie felt so small. She gripped the keys slightly and scrunched her brow.

"Larry, I can take care of myself. You don't have to come to this."

"Miss Aggie, you can more than take care of yourself.... These things... are ... well they're hard, no matter how strong you are so... please just trust me." He pulled the keys lightly and she released them. Then he took her hand in his free one and they quietly walked out to his car.

She settled into staring out the window at the passing scenery. It was a short ride, but when Larry stopped Aggie didn't make moves to get out of the car. She just kept staring.

Larry walked around the car and opened her door. She leaned back in her seat.

Larry squatted and pulled a small flask out of his inner jacket pocket.

"Take a hard swig to calm your nerves. And then look at me." She did as she was told and looked back at him as she breathed through the alcohol percentage. "The worst has already happened. This is a shitty formality, but I will be with you the whole time."

Aggie ran the back of her hand across her mouth and nodded. Larry stood up and Aggie got out of the car. His pep talk was more effective than the one she was working up in her head. He had alcohol though and that was essentially cheating, she decided.

They walked up to the church and as in most situations where Aggie expected herself to crumble, the opposite happened. When she walked through the doors, it was like her heart steeled over. She knew her part and was ready to carry it out.

Larry was ushering her towards the front to receive condolences and was surprised when she settled herself in the very last pew.

He slid into the pew with her and began to whisper. "Miss Aggie, c'mon now. They'll expect you up front."

Aggie completely composed, with her eyes at the front of the church, leaned to whisper back. "No, they won't. They'll expect James and the babies." She nodded her head to the right front of the church.  They were there.

James was greeting and accepting the condolences of those that had arrived early. The kids were sitting in the front pew. A few more people came through and then the little boy with bright blonde hair got up off the pew and wrapped himself around James' midsection and leg. James calmly peeled him off and lifted him up. Then the girl followed and laid her head into his stomach. He stroked her brown hair in between shaking hands and thanking people for being there.