Chapter 30

Her mouth dropped completely and her head twitched slightly from side to side. James noticed and his eyes became concerned. He tilted her a questioning glance. I've really fucked up now. He thought as he tried to scramble for what to do next, but then she smiled and covered her mouth.

"Will you marry me?"

She nodded her head and  then she quietly responded. "Yes." She leaned down towards James. They locked lips as he stood up and wrapped his arms around her. He hugged her tight and she hugged him back, but he couldn't shake the feeling.

"HERE'S TO THE NEXT MRS. AVERY!" Screamed Chris as he busted open a bottle of champagne.

"Woo!" Everyone screamed along with James and Agnes.

James slipped the ring on her finger and kissed her. He noticed the tears were still flowing. It didn't feel right, but no one seemed to notice except him.

She smiled and said all the right things as she accepted congratulations and showed off her ring. Finally, James couldn't take it any longer; he slipped his hand through hers and excused them from a group of their friends.

"Hey, where you kids going?" Chris yelled after them. He was a few more beers involved than the rest of the group and his yelling gave him away.

"I'm going to makeout with my fiancé. Is that alright with you?" James yelled without looking back at him. Chris responded, but neither were focused enough to catch it. They went upstairs and he pulled Agnes into a room and shut the door. He sat her on a chair and then squatted in front of her so they were eye to eye.

"What's wrong?" He asked plainly.

"Nothing." She said, but her face gave her away as it crumpled and tears brimmed her eyes.

His heart shattered. He feared the worst. She was going to tell him she had cheated or worse that she didn't want him. He took a deep breath. Prepared to hear that she had cheated. They could work through that he decided on the spot.

"Please tell me." Tears were filling his eyes. He dropped down to his knees and rested his hands on her sides, leaning on his forearms that applied pressure on her thighs. "Whatever it is, it's going to be okay. If something happened with Connor O'Brian or anyone, then we can deal with it."

"What are you talking about?"

"I know he made a pass at you and Tommy told me you weren't exactly opposed to it."

"Are you fucking kidding me? Tommy is a liar and Connor's best friend."

"Agnes, I've been paranoid since it happened and you're not saying anything. You're freaking me out. I thought this would make you happy. You don't cry when your happy. I know you. You don't have to worry about us; we're going to make it; we have it signed and sealed now. College doesn't have to be this scary thing that breaks us up." He said it all in a rush. He was even more concerned now that he had opened his mouth at all.

"I'm just having a hard day and Molly was being a complete bitch earlier and..." She paused. And you just cornered me in front of our friends and family for a proposal. What the fuck do you think is wrong? She didn't say it out loud, but she was trying to build up the courage. Don't. That reasonable part of her brain whispered. She listened to it. "I'm just having a hard day and-" She repeated and looked at the door with a gesture towards the party. "It's just a lot. Okay?"

"Okay." He said and kissed her head. "We can leave if you want." He stood up.

"No." She said wiping her face. That would be incredibly suspicious.

"Please go have fun."

"This is about us. If we're going to be married then I want to be a part of your hard days too. You don't let me into those and you've been having a lot lately."

"I'm working on it." She said quietly.

He pulled her up and wrapped his arms around her. "I want to help."

"I wish you could." She whispered back into his shoulder. The physical contact was helping, but she knew it was only momentary. She would feel just as vague again when they went back downstairs. She wanted to go home and be with Momma... that was all she wanted right now, she was so confused.

"Then just let me be here." He said and squeezed her a little tighter. She took in that moment before convincing him to go back to the party alone under the premise that she just needed a few moments to herself. She took about ten minutes to collect herself before going back downstairs. She drank very lightly, still feeling the sting of Molly's earlier comment even though it now had clear intentions. Everyone else kept drinking and doing celebratory shots. The party went on until about 3AM before everyone started to either call a ride or go to their designated sleeping spot.

James and Chris were obliterated like the rest of the party. Agnes led a drunk James up to the spare bedroom and then waited about 30 minutes. When she was certain that everyone had to at least be asleep by now, she collected her keys and wallet and went home. She just wanted to have coffee with Momma in the morning... that was all she wanted right now.

~~~

It just now dawned on her, as she pulled up to Pam and Big Chris's house, how strange James must have felt waking up without his fiancé or any kind of explanation.