Chapter 22 (3 months after death)

Agnes did what she always did and wrapped herself in the remaining parts of her life. Evan would send the occasional text message and she would respond, but they both knew they couldn't communicate too regularly or it would only make it all harder.

Two more months had past and Agnes was accustomed to screaming after the kids while taking late evening work calls. It had become her new talent. To be completely fair, it was usually Liam seeking attention and Juli being a bit snotty over nothing.

"Both of you upstairs, please." Agnes said as she heard her phone ring for the 3rd time that evening and it was only 5:30pm.

"Why?"

"Because I have a call."

"It's Friday... we wanna watch a movie."

"Juli go!" Agnes yelled rather sternly and then turned to her phone. It was a number she didn't recognize so she used a standard greeting, while Juli stomped up the stairs.

"Georgia Medical, this is Agnes."

"Oh Agnes, I'm sorry." The voice was too familiar.

"Pardon me?" Agnes asked.

"It's Pam, James's mom."

"Oh Pam. Oh my god, I know who you are. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry to call, but do you have the kids? And do you know where James is?"

"Pam, you're absolutely fine. I have the kids and James is at work they asked him to stay and assist a surgery or something. I'm fuzzy on the details."

"Oh okay. I just wasn't sure what had happened."

"Were you expecting him?"

"Kind of. We had vaguely discussed having the kids over this evening so that we could run to get ice cream."

Agnes then heard screaming coming from upstairs and did that hysterical exhausted laugh. "Well you can still have them if you want them. Like the entire weekend if that would trip your trigger." She laughed.

Agnes heard shuffling like Pam was walking away, but she hadn't responded yet and then she responded in hushed tones. "I can't leave Chris here like that on his own." Agnes had not stopped by in an effort to stay out of something that James had seemingly been keeping a secret. "Are they being a handful?"

"Very much." She laughed trying not to harp on the scary part of Pam's words and then she thought of a better idea. "I can stay with Big Chris, while you three go out."

"Oh Agnes that's very kind, but it's just a lot."

"Pam, I'm not going to twist your arm, but I can promise you that I have no problem with staying at the house. I know you haven't seen the kids in awhile."

Agnes could hear the hesitation.

"Well why don't you come over and we'll see if he remembers you. I don't want him to be alarmed you know."

"I completely understand."

Agnes heard the kids start screaming at each other upstairs.

She pulled the phone away from her face. "ARE YOU TWO KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW?" She started walking for the stairs.

Pam couldn't help, but chuckle. "I will be over with the kids in half an hour after I break this up."

"Okay, see you then. Good luck."

"Thank you. See ya."

"See ya." And the line clicked.

"YOU TWO COULDN'T GET ALONG FOR 5 MINUTES?!" She yelled ascending the stairs. Liam's sobbing started to fill her ears and she picked up her pace. When she swung around the doorframe she saw him trying to gather up a frame, but there was clearly glass on the ground. Juli was trying to shush him to keep herself out of trouble.