Chapter 9

She made eye contact with James for half a second before shutting the door and then directed her attention to Caroline.

"Hi, I'm Agnes Jones. I couldn't help, but overhear." She reached out and shook her hand. "I'm the aunt of Liam and Juliana on their mother's side and I have to say I'm not okay with what I've heard. They will not be going into foster care and if we have to get lawyers and the authorities involved today then we can make that happen." The part of Aggie accustomed to making deals had overtaken her emotions.

Caroline's mouth opened slightly and then slowly curled into a side smile.

"Well damn, Agnes."

"Pardon me?" Aggie scrunched her brow.

"Aggie... It's me, Caroline from high school, Caroline Dubee... Well, I'm a Frack now."

It took a moment and then Agnes's face relaxed and her jaw dropped slightly. "Holy shit. I didn't even recognize you."

"Yeah," she said. "Same here. Until you opened your mouth and that same fight came flying out. Oh my god, it's been so long." She wrapped her arms around Aggie. Aggie felt for sure that she had won the day as she hugged her back.

"Juliana and Liam..." Aggie said quietly loosening up on the hug.

"Aggie, while I understand your concern. I can't just overlook the fact that James lives in a flat and works 12-plus-hour days with no additional help or support. Judge won't allow it after what happened to the Lucas twins. He won't make an exception for this."

"James isn't an alcoholic. He has been their father this whole time."

Caroline looked almost surprised that she knew that at all. "Clearly. That hasn't been a secret, but he doesn't have the space and with his job, he just can't be the only parent" her shoulder shrugged slightly, "caregiver, guardian." She motioned in a circle with her hands.

"I have the space, if that's the big issue." Aggie said matter-of-factly. Caroline messed up her face and just looked at Aggie without speaking. Aggie continued slowly and thoughtfully, each word carrying force. "Caroline, I mean it very plainly and very sincerely, when I tell you those children aren't leaving James or Nile tonight. So help me get the paperwork lined up or prepare this to go to court because I will bring in a lawyer today. I just need you to tell me which direction we're going."

"Aggie... please understand that you will need to become a guardian and I will need to ensure you actually have the space for them as well as being stable enough to support them."

"I understand. They'll be back in Momma's house with me. And I can prepare any proof of employment that you may need and an intended care plan for when we're working." she tilted her head toward James, but then also eyed him slightly. He hadn't spoken yet.

Caroline was still taken aback by the result of this conversation; she took a moment to size up the value of Aggie's statements. Caroline looked at James as she was seemingly speaking to Agnes. "We'll work this out today then. This is good news." She placed a hand on James's shoulder. No one spoke for a moment. "After the burial and reception of course." She added. She nodded at Aggie who returned it. "I'll give you two a moment to discuss." She said and then made her way to the door and shut it. James opened his mouth the minute the latch clicked.

"I can't let you take them from me either." He said quietly.

Aggie looked up at him from the floor. "I think you know me better than that James. I'm not going to take them away from you. I'm just going to make sure the State doesn't either. I know I haven't been around to help, but this is the least I can do at this point. I can help protect them from this." She gestured where Caroline had been standing.