Chapter 17

As she climbed in his car, she showed Larry the GPS saying, "We're going here." He took her phone and started driving while she got her seatbelt on.

She took a few deep breaths while he drove. She was way too drunk right now and she was nervous.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

"Yes. Liam is sick though and I just couldn't drive. I'm sorry I had to call you." She looked at the time on his dash and wanted to kick herself. It was only 10:30PM, but she had no right to infringe on his evening.

"Not a problem, Miss Aggie. What's wrong with him? Are we going to the ER?"

"I don't think so. He started throwing up after he ate so my bet is that he got some bad food, but his throat is scratchy so I think it could be an allergic reaction too, which could land us in the ER."

"So this is what happens when you try to take a night off?" He asked.

"Apparently." She sighed. Sadie hadn't called back so she was confident that he wasn't getting worse. Sadie wouldn't know how to act if anything had escalated. She'd need a play by play. "If we do need to go to the ER, would you be able to take us?" She asked. "I'm not sure what I just interrupted for you."

"Of course. I'm yours for the night. You didn't interrupt anything, I was just sitting down with a beer when you called."

"I'll have a new one for you, when we get back to the house."

"Sounds like a good deal."

They drove in silence. Agnes was constantly checking the "time until arrival" displayed on the GPS. She was jittering her leg like crazy and fidgeting her hands.

"He's going to be fine." Larry said and grabbed her hand. He had little else to offer, but it made her feel better nonetheless.

Larry pulled into Sadie's driveway some 20 minutes later and Agnes hopped out of the car before he put it in park. She went off to the front door and pounded loudly. Sadie opened the door immediately spewing sorry all over the place. Agnes didn't hear it as she immediately stepped past her and walked into her home.

She found Liam lying on the couch with a little bucket next to him.

"I wanna go home." He cried as soon as he saw her.

"I know, baby." She said and kneeled down next to him. "Can you tell me how your throat feels? Any worse?"

"No." He rubbed his ears hard. "But my ears are itchy and my stomach still hurts."

It's definitely an allergic reaction she thought as she wiped up his tears. "Come on then, we're going home."

She picked him up and realized he was shirtless under the blanket.

"He threw up on his shirt." Sadie said meekly as she scrambled over to his little backpack and a plastic bag. Sadie picked up the blanket and wrapped it around him as best she could while Agnes held him.

When Agnes was tired of that game she started walking to the front door. She wanted to get him home so she could keep an eye on him. Larry was waiting at the front door and held it open for Agnes.

"Do you want me to take him?" Larry asked.

"No, I've got little man. Will you take his things though?"

Sadie handed him the backpack and he started to return to the car. Agnes turned to follow him, but they both stopped short when they heard Sadie speak.

"Agnes, please don't think I'm a bad mother. I know what you thought of me in school, you thought I was stupid, but I was just nervous and I didn't want to be an idiot and send everyone to the ER over nothing. Please don't be upset with me. I'm a good mom."