Chapter 38

Agnes woke up relatively early for a weekend. She thought it was due to the headache developing at the front of her skull until she heard shouting coming up the stairs.

"Mom, wake up! It's time to go get pumpkins!" It was Larry screaming with Liam. She had never in her entire life become fully aware of herself that fast. James was still passed out and wrapped around her. She scrambled too quickly, lacking the necessary coordination this early in the morning, and damn near fell out of bed when Larry burst through the door.

"Mom!" His chant killed itself the second he registered what he had walked in on. His eyes got wide and he slammed the door behind him before Liam could enter. The only problem now was that he was also trapped in the guilty sex room. He only knew it was guilty by the scrunched look on Agnes's face and her slouched figure like she was preparing to have her peaceful world collapse.

By now, James was fully stirring and taking in the depth of the situation. Larry gave an outward palmed shrug that seemed to scream, "Wow... really?" with a crooked brow and a stupid smile. Agnes flicked him off as she quietly started looking for her pants. She still had on her oversized shirt, but that wouldn't suit for today's activities either. James tried to as silently as possible get out of bed and start dressing himself too. Agnes did a twirling hand gesture, which James didn't understand, but Larry immediately started to turn around to face the door. Agnes ripped off her shirt, put on a light sweatshirt, and pulled out a pair of jeans.

"Hey, let me in!" Came Liam's voice from behind the door. "Larry!" He screeched. Agnes's head felt like it might explode.

"Baby, give me a minute. I'll be out."

"Why can't I come in? Larry's in there."

Larry ran a hand over his face.

"Larry is helping me get out of bed honey, my back is hurting pretty bad today."

"I can help!"

"If you want to help, why don't you go get mom a bottle of water so that I can take some advil, okay?"

"Dad's car is downstairs, is he already here?" Juli's voice now rang through the door. James did a silent wide eye turn to look at Agnes.

"Yes, but he went for a walk. He is going to meet us at the pumpkin patch when he gets back."

Both Juli and Liam's voice came shooting through that door at once.

"Hey! No more questions, give me five minutes to get dressed. I will be down. Juli, can you please start the coffee pot."

"Yeah." The sound of shuffling feet toward the stairs came through the door and then down the steps followed. Agnes felt like she just avoided a car accident.

"A bad back, what are you 80?"

"Larry, I swear to god..." She muttered. He smiled.

James awkwardly waved to Larry and he waved back, as James took his ball of clothing to the bathroom.

Agnes followed him and quickly brushed her teeth. After she spit, she gave James directions. "Give us like five minutes head start." She said and started brushing her hair quickly.

"Sounds like a plan." He paused for a few minutes and threw his shirt over his head. "Should we talk about last night?" He added.

"Nope." She said and exited the bathroom after putting back the brush.