𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 2 - 𝖐𝖓𝖔𝖜𝖑𝖊𝖉𝖌𝖊

Mara had never been concerned about the fae in Prythian

Mara had never been concerned about the fae in Prythian. Her thirst for knowledge had driven her across worlds, looking and researching different species. Anything from trolls to grisha.

Immortality allowed her the time to explore and document everything her heart desired, and unlike humans, she was not forced to hope that someone would continue on her work.

No, she was allowed to water her thirst. This thirst had led her on multiple adventures and careers.

Her career currently resided in the very school that her family had founded.

Durmstrang Institute, found in the far north of Europe. Convenient as the castle that Mara had inherited was found in the mountains of Northern Europe.

Mara's mother had been a Vulchanova, an. ancient Bulgarian pure-blooded wizarding family. Mara's great aunt, Nerida Vulchanova had founded Durmstrang.

For generations, Mara's family had run the school. Some were great leaders other not so much.

The Vulchanova family abided by a special set of rules, generations of wealth and powerful magic created power-hungry and devious wizards and witches.

Unlike the scared twenty-eight, the Vulchanova family did not insist on pureblood, and certainly not inbreeding. No, the only thing that the Vulchanova family insisted on was power.

Vulchanova's thrived on being the best. Having the most power in a room, having the most wealth in the room and having the most knowledge in the room were all essential to being a Vulchanova.

From birth Vulchanova's were brought to seek knowledge, because knowledge is power. Witches and wizards alike married from kings and queens to scholars. If they had power, influence, knowledge, a Vulchanova could be traced into their family line.

No one knew where the Vulchanova's came from, they were a small but powerful family. The wizarding world for centuries rarely mixed, everyone stayed in families, together and learning off each other.

Rarely did you meet another wizard or witch that was not related to you for centuries? However, Nerida Vulchanova had the will to create a wizarding school. A school for wizards and witches, and purebloods and muggle-borns alike.

Mara's mother used to say that Nerdia would rise from the dead if she discovered that her school had instigated a pure-blood rule.

"She would say that magic is about power, and a muggle-born can wield the same power, if not more as a pureblood. Durmstrang is a school to teach magic, to teach wizards and witches, no matter their heritage about the wonders of magic and gains power. The power of knowledge."

Mara had always felt a strong connection to her mothers family, growing up with her mother's stories, and books filled with their history. Learning about a Roman Empress, only to find out she was your great-great-great, so many greats grandmother made history a lot more fun to learn and remember the family tree a bitch.

Growing up with a strong connection to her heritage always made Mara more curious about her father, made her want to find out more.

This urge to find out who her father was, to discover the other side of her heritage made her discover her power.

Her power lead her to Prythian, and a land filled with faes, courts, winged-fae and more magic.

⭒☾ 𑁦.⭒✰⭒.𑁦⭒✧⭒☾ 𑁦.⭒✰⭒.𑁦

Being in the land of the fae always made Mara shiver, in a good way.

Shiver in the way that one does as they enter the water after a hot day, or shiver at the sight of their favourite dessert.

Mara had never felt the way she did when she was in Prythian. She chalked it up to the magic that tainted every drop of water and every breath f air with magic. She desperately wanted someone else to come with her to Prythian, someone who was normal, just to ask if they felt the magic as well.

Alas, that would never happen. No one could come with her, and Mara had accepted such facts long ago. Nowadays it seemed to be more of a blessing, no one could judge her for not coming here for five hundred years, because no one knew it existed. No one could make her feel like a coward for not having the courage to come here.

Every day after the incident Mara felt like going back, demanding answers, not resting until she could get answers to the questions that bounced around her head every day since.

She was a Vulchanova, if she wanted answers she would get them, she would look and read and investigate until she found them. But she was also betrayed, she was hurt and she honestly didn't want to relive the embarrassment of betrayal again.

So she had fled, like a coward. She went back, turned her back on the world that had hurt her.

Realistically Mara knew that there was so much out there in the fae worlds, that she shouldn't let one betrayal ruin this magical world. But she needed time to lick her wounds, to come back more powerful, have more knowledge. To reassure herself that this place even existed, that it wasn't just a figment of her imagination, created to help the pain. To soften the blow.

But now she was here, and she would stay until she got answers. She would keep her distance, maybe interact with a few faes. The betrayal still felt fresh, being back here. But Mara wouldn't let that distract her from her final goal, she would use a very bit of information from before and she would use it to ensure that she would never be betrayed again and to finish her goal.

Only then she would allow herself to enjoy Prythian, maybe write a few books on the fae. Perhaps even wiggle herself into the everyday lives of the fae, maybe even announcing her presence.

But for now, she would clean up this cottage, make it her home for however long it would take for her to finish this.

Looking out the round, slightly uneven windows, Mara looked at the wall that divided the human lands to the fae lands. Tomorrow she would be crossing that wall, and all she could hope was that whatever she found on the other side would answer her questions.

Because Mara was a Vulchanova, and she would get her answers.