𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 16 - 𝖓𝖆𝖙𝖚𝖗𝖆𝖑

Mara hadn't felt anything like this in a long time

Mara hadn't felt anything like this in a long time. With past lovers she had been distant, enjoying the moment but she knew they would not age together, could not father centuries together.

Everything about Azriel felt different, stronger, more passionate. Emotions were at an all-time, every moment Mara spent in his arms had her falling more. His dry humour, the little sarcastic comments he made under his breath that Mara felt the pride to be able to hear.

And slowly, without realising it Mara had begun to care because there had been a future to look to. One that let them age together.

They had a connection, one Mara did not feel the urgency to dissect, a word feeling considering her desperation to understand everything else. It was natural, the way they laughed together, the way their tongues clashed together.

With Azriel things just fell into place, it was easy.

Mara didn't think it would feel like this, that she had let her self care this much.

Her heart that rarely beaten, felt heavy and hurt with every breath.

Mara would not forget Azriel's face, one filled with so much disgust aimed at her, and what she was. Shouldn't he of all people, one who has faced discrimination and who knows her so intimately be the most understanding?

Know that she had no idea, and even if it did what is the problem with being half-fae? They hand;t even confirmed anything, even so, wouldn't he appreciate their shared fae heritage.

God, she felt stupid. How many relationships had she witnessed in her time, books she read, movies she watched. At her age, shouldn't she know better?

For a second she considered that she was in the wrong, that she had imagined Azreils softened gaze, the zero hesitation before saying something about them together in the future.

But she wasn't stupid, this was on him. Men in the past hadn't wanted to be a vampire, and Mara wasn't going to stay with someone who was blinded by their
prejudice. If Azriel didn't want her for something that was out of her control, he didn't deserve her.

All that was simple. Logical. The logic that has guided Mara for centuries, made sure she didn't get too attached, risked her heart for humans who would be forgotten by everyone else in a blink.

The logic that Mara prided herself on. Everything had a logical conclusion, an explanation.

So Mara knew that she should forget about Azriel. Continue on as if nothing had happened, don't clue anyone into how badly his betrayal hurt.

But she couldn't. Couldn't stop the way her heart ached every time his reaction replayed in her mind. Couldn't stop smelling his scent on her clothes, for their earlier morning activities, something that felt like days ago.

Mara didn't deserve his hatred for something unknown to her. She knew this, but why did she still want him to come back. To break down her door and beg for forgiveness.