𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 15 - 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖌𝖚𝖘𝖙

Mara was not surprised by the power of the Middle

She had interacted with aging things, created back when power ran freely, less contained and more feral.

Dark magic, some called it. But it did call to Mara, especially blood magic. Any runes, signs and symbols pertaining to blood magic known to the wizarding world were also known or created by Mara.

There had been a period in time when Mara had spent a few decades creating spells. A cut in the shape of a triangle and Mara would own that person's hand. Mara had little blood in comparison to humans or fae.

But if she were to slice open her palm, her blood would be magical, and destructive. Shaking mountains, calling oceans, raising armies.

Vampires were creatures of the dead, cursed, they didn't have blood flowing through their veins.

"The child of death and life will taint the worlds in which she is entitled."

Child of death she understood, and if it hadn't been through years of experience she would have let her body shiver, let her experience such an imperfect and valuable thing.

No Maras blood had magic that was like the Middle. Explosive and dangerous.

But Mara liked that, enjoyed the fact that she was like a ticking bomb, that she was something different and unexplored. If she could bleed more freely she would have experimented, figured out the true extent of her powers.

By appearances alone, the Middle was nothing special. Trees still grew, and water still flowed. But it was the pure power that ran through everything that made it special.

The odd group of people all looked on edge, weapons ready to be drawn and tight expressions.

Alphard had already turned to Mara, who was apparently the leader of this odd bunch. Despite being the first to arrive Mara was the calmest, unlike Helion who had arrived last and was looking particularly nervous.

When she focused Mara could feel his heart beating faster, taunting her. He was nervous, more nervous than any of the other High Lords.

Helion Spell-Cleaver. Blessed with the ability to seamlessly cut through magical wards and enchantments. He knew magic and wards, he could feel them.

But Mara could see them, see the ancient magic, see the spells keeping everything in the Middle in, and everything else out.

Mara wanted time to focus, to research the prophecy, to gather information, to be prepared. But she didn't have that kind of time, none of them did.

Instead, she might have just brought them to a dangerous place that could get them all killed. Well, not Mara unless she was decapitated and burned, but she doubted anything here could accomplish that.

She had the ability to control armies, anything or one with blood running through its veins bowed to Mara.

And she liked that.