𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 8 - 𝖍𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖞

The day was productive, Mor had given Mara a long tour of Velaris, and tomorrow Azriel and Cassian was going to the Illyrian camps and had invited Mara to coke along

Rhysand had given Mara full access to the large library in the house of wind. In turn, Mara was educating him on the current situation in Prythian.

Death was coming.

Rumours about a fourth death trove were spreading in dark circles and talk about Koschei's rising.

Books thought to be burnt during Amarantha's reign were beginning to be rediscovered, stories and legends were returning to the Prythians population.

Nesta's connection was obvious, but with most of her power gone or buried too deep, there was nothing left that she could do.

Mara had grown up with legends, being one herself, she had to ask questions. She had to know more.

Mara was a firm believer in fate, one could change fate but sometimes things just needed to happen.

Mara had witnessed so much happiness and pain, sometimes they were inevitable.

Mara had witnessed the joy and happiness that the fae had cultivated during her visit to Velaris, and she had seen how the high lord and his inner circle interacted.

It was one large family, a happy family.

Mara's family had been limited to her mother and herself in a large castle. The occasional visit from a member of the Vulchanova family, and that was it.

To see such a large family happy was a somewhat new experience.

They were happy, but something was threatening their happiness. No one wanted to live under the threat of a death lord.

And Mara could almost taste the power that Koschei held.

Worlds were mixing, humans and fae were mixing and old and vengeful power was brewing.

Had been brewing for centuries, and was nearing its conclusion.

Mara was in the room with Rhysand and most of the inner circle, as they explained the situation with Koschei.

Mara stood up from the couch and headed to the large mirror in the wall, "Well Koschei is powerful, he is mentioned in my world."

Feeling the pull toward the mirror Mara stood right in front of the mirror, reaching forward she dipped her fingers in, felt the cool feeling of the portal rushing through her fingers.

The reflection of the mirror quickly morphed into an almost liquid state, changing from a reflection of a room to a large library.

Mara quickly stepped into the mirror, into her home's library. Books filling up every space, some magically transporting to their spot.

Through the high arched, glass stained windows looked into a misty forest.

Walking through the shelves Mara headed near the end of the room. Grabbing multiple books.

Heading back through the mirror, facing a room full of open hanging mouths.

"So in my world, humans have many fables and myths surrounding Koschei the deathless. From my research, Koschei is part of some Slavic mythology. Most stories say that he was betrayed by his queen, a powerful figure. One who might transfer in your world to the Mother."

Sitting back down and placing the stack of books on the table. "You said that Weaver and Koschei were feared and worshipped. They were too powerful to be truly killed, and could only be contained."

"Yes, Koschei is currently confined to his lake on the continent."

"Well looking through these books you'll find" pointing to the pile of books on the table. "That along with his death god status, he has an incredible proclivity for sorcery.  He has some association with bodies of water. He wants to become master once again of this world."

Looking at Azriel, specifically his shadows Mara continued "You say that his words carry on the wind, I believe he also has some connection to shadows. The other death troves all have a specific purpose, probably made by Koschei himself."

Cassian spoke up, "And you believe that the connection Nesta and you have is related to a fourth death trove?"

"Yes, it would make the most sense, looking through some of the old books revealed that people can't really remember if it was three death troves or four."

Rhysand spoke up, "And you are willing to help us discover the fourth death trove."

Mara's eyes gleamed with excitement and a slightly concerning amount of confidence, "Of course, I'd be delighted to."

⭒☾ 𑁦.⭒✰⭒.𑁦☽⭒✧⭒☾ 𑁦.⭒✰⭒.𑁦☽⭒

Azriel had never been the largest fan of books.

Learning to read with a young Rhysand as a teacher left a certain impression that he and Cassian would not forget.

He still appreciate a good book, but he appreciated other arts better. Ironically given his quoted nature, he loved music.

He had more symphonias than one would expect. Rhysand certainly teased him about what he spent his money on, but Azriel had learned young to appreciate simple and expensive joys.

So he never really felt Nesta's joy in reading, other than the pleasure in the books she enjoyed.

But seeing Mara's face light up as they arrived at the library. Azriel never thought he would be jealous over paper and ink.

She looked amazing in her long red leather coat, a style that Azriel had never seen before. Then again most things Mara wore he had never seen.

He didn't think of himself as a person invested in fashion or the current trends, cauldron he wore the leather majority of the time. But now every morning he could hardly wait to see what Mara wore, everything looked like the Mother herself had handcrafted each piece for her.

Cassian might have caught him drooling at breakfast once, but Azriel's shadows had collected more than enough times of his and Nesta's escapades for him to stay silent.

It was crazy, Azriel was centuries old, and had been with more females than he thought probable. Yet he was acting like a young boy with a puppy crush.

Mara hadn't asked for him to fly her to the library. After seeing her turn a mirror into a portal, another one of her undiscovered powers he was sure that transportation was a simple event compared to what she normally got up to.

But if she happened to ask for a flight back to see Velaris at night from the sky, we'll be would be delighted.

⭒☾ 𑁦.⭒✰⭒.𑁦☽⭒✧⭒☾ 𑁦.⭒✰⭒.𑁦☽⭒

I just know in my heart that Azriel is a little material gorl