~How to Improve Your Tilts/Developès~

Hi everyone, it's Emmy! (Obviously)

Today's tip is all about tilts/developès.

• Having a good turnout can help in getting a 180 degree angle in you tilts/Developès. To improve your turnout, sit in frog (lay on your stomach then bend your legs up like they would be in a pliè or in butterfly, trying to get your hips, knees and feet pressed to the floor.)

• Your middle split also helps with having your tilt/Developè flat. Work on your middle split until it's flat, then add a yoga block, book or put your foot on a step to stretch your over split. This will make having your leg at the 180 degree angle easier. You could also try a wall split. Sit facing the wall in straddle, then push yourself up to the wall, you will eventually get your straddle flat, therefore making tilts/Developès easier.

*REMEMBER: Make sure you are always turning out from your hips, as turning out from the knees or feet can result in injuries.

• To get your tilts/developès higher, sit in straddle and lean over to either side, tucking your arm in front of your leg. You can also prop your leg up on a yoga block/book/step for a deeper stretch, eventually leading to an over split in your tilt.

• SQUEEZE THAT TUSH! This may sound weird, but it does help with getting your leg higher. My dance teacher told me to do this in my tilts/Developès and they improved instantly. Remember to use your abs too.

• Remember that where you raise your knee to before you Developè your leg in the tilt is where your leg is going to end up, so if you raise your knee to the corner, it is going to go to the corner, but if you raise your knee to your side, at a 180 degree angle, your leg is going to Developè there.

• And as always, NEVER GIVE UP! It took me a year to get an over split in my tilt and to get it at a (nearly) 180 degree angle, and I had two stretch classes a week and I worked on it myself at home, it all depends on you putting in the effort to work on things by yourself and not just in dance class.

THANKS FOR READING AND HAPPY EASTER!! 🐰🍫

Xx Emmy xX

~~~~

QOTC: What is your favourite trick to do in dances?

AOTC: Not really a trick, but I love to do a la secondes (spelling?) and turns.

Remember to leave tip requests or any advice that I can include in chapters/do a chapter about.