┊iii. three

"A little bird told me you made a house call to doctor Connors." Eden says as she walks up to Peters locker the following Monday. "What the hell were you thinking, Peter?"

The boy clears his throat before turning to look at her. "There's a reason I was at Oscorp last week, and he has something to do with it."

He shuts his locker and starts to walk away but Eden was persistent, clutching her books tighter and pushing into a light jog in order to keep up with his slightly longer legs.

"I'm not liking this secretive, mysterious vibe you've got going on right now."

Peter slows down, feeling the need to explain everything to her but he wasn't sure if he could. "How much do you trust me?"

"What?"

"Please just answer."

Eden shrugs, furrowing her eyebrows. "You're clumsy as all hell so I definitely wouldn't trust you with my life, Parker." He rolls his eyes at her. "But I know if I ever needed something, you wouldn't hesitate to help. So I trust you like a lot, I guess."

Peter grabs hold of her hand and drags her out the nearest exit, almost making her drop her books. He sits her down on one of the tables outside, pacing ahead of her as he thinks of how to explain things to her.

"Peter, you're giving me a headache. What's going on?"

"Okay. Okay, uh..." he starts, fiddling with his fingers. "Connors used to work with my dad. My dad used to work at Oscorp, you know that." Eden nods. "My parents just packed up and left one night, no explanation. I found out my dad was working on a project with Connors before they left."

"The spider research?" she asks, eyebrows furrowed.

"You know about that?"

"Yeah, my dad tried to take over with Connors after...after your dad left. They couldn't figure it out without him, though."

The boy in front of her hesitates for a second, biting harshly on one of his nails. If Eden knew about it from her father, then he could know something about why his parents left. He has to know something.

Eden reaches her hand out, taking hold of his wrists and pulls him to sit down beside her. "I can hear the cogs turning in your head."

"This is the last thing my dad ever did." Peter sighs. "I just don't get what was so important about it."

"Other than the potential to cure so many illnesses and save millions of lives?"

"You know what I mean, Ed."

She takes a moment to look at him, her eyes scanning over his prominent features. She couldn't help the ache she felt in her heart as she watched him try to piece it all together. His fingers were itching at his nose, an action she noticed he does quite frequently, especially when he was nervous.

"I'll talk to him." she speaks softly and Peter turns to look at her in confusion. "My dad. I'll ask him if he knows anything about the research."

"You'd do that?" the boy asks breathlessly.

"I told you if you ever needed anything to ask and I'm a woman of my word."

Peter gives her a soft smile, squeezing her arm gently. "Thank you, I owe you."

"I'll take my payment in coffee and chocolates."

Eden gives him a wink as the bell goes off, signaling the start of their next class. She picks up her stuff and makes her way back towards the door, leaving behind a chuckling brunette boy in her wake.